GivenGain Case Study
GivenGain is a global leader in cloud-based activism and is based in Switzerland. It was founded in 2001 on the basis of a simple idea: “to enable global philanthropy by empowering individuals and nonprofits to break down the barriers between and within ourselves.” GivenGain is known for helping individuals raise money for their favorite causes and helping charities and nonprofits build strong and sustainable funding models.
AWS has given GivenGain an invaluable opportunity to focus on its application; the ultimate prize for an online entity that lives and dies by its innovation and service."
Chief Technology Officer, GivenGain
- After nine years of continuous growth, GivenGain’s initial web hosting solution presented reliability issues, and its web server and database were reaching the upper limits of their capacity to sustain the load.
- The organization needed the ability to increase capacity in high-load situations and reduce it in periods of decreased load.
- As a nonprofit, cost was a crucial consideration.
Why Amazon Web Services
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) and Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) provide cost-efficient and resizable compute capacity in the cloud, while managing time-consuming database administration tasks, allowing GivenGain to focus on its applications and mission.
- GivenGain uses Elastic Load Balancing to easily spread the load between several web servers when needed.
- An Auto Scaling group automates the increase and decrease of GivenGain's web server pool.
- Amazon Elastic File System (Amazon EFS) offers a simple, scalable way to share files between web servers.
- Achieves 99.99 percent availability, which increases the satisfaction level of the nonprofits it supports.
- Lowered costs by more than 50 percent, and then again by 40 percent in 2015 compared to the previous year with the use of Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) Reserved Instances.
- Efficiency and ease of use: Easy-to-change instance types, as dictated by usage evolution.
- Achieves 99.99 percent durability through different geographical locations and availability zones.
- Allowed the small team to focus almost 100 percent on developing the app.
GivenGain is a global leader in cloud-based activism and is based in Switzerland. It was founded in 2001 on the basis of a simple idea: “to enable global philanthropy by empowering individuals and nonprofits to break down the barriers between and within ourselves.”
AWS Services Used
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a web service that provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud.
Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) makes it easy to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud.
Elastic Load Balancing
Elastic Load Balancing automatically distributes incoming application traffic across multiple targets, such as Amazon EC2 instances, containers, IP addresses, and Lambda functions.
Amazon Elastic File System (Amazon EFS) provides a simple, scalable, fully managed elastic NFS file system for use with AWS Cloud services and on-premises resources.
Companies of all sizes across all industries are transforming their businesses every day using AWS. Contact our experts and start your own AWS Cloud journey today.