Update: Amazon ECS Product Name Change in the AWS Billing and Cost Management
Voiced by Amazon Polly
If you are currently using Amazon ECS and have set up your cost reporting with specific service filters to track your Amazon ECS cost and usage, please read this blog post.
February 16, 2021, the product name of Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS) was changed from “EC2 Container Service” to “Elastic Container Service”.
Amazon ECS cost and usage information will now appear differently in AWS Billing and Cost Management. This change took place for all AWS Regions and impacted all February 2021 billing data onwards. This is a one time, permanent name update only. The change has no impact on your actual billed amounts for Amazon ECS tasks running on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) and AWS Fargate.
The following values for Amazon ECS have been updated in all regions in AWS Billing and Cost Management console:
- AWS Bills and Invoices: Your AWS invoices starting February 2021 will reflect the new product name of Amazon ECS. The Bills page will reflect this new name for February 2021 and your previous months’ bills as well.
- AWS Cost & Usage Report: There is no change to the product code “AmazonECS” in your Cost & Usage Reports. However, the “Product – Product Name” and “Product – Service Name” columns will now display “Amazon Elastic Container Service” instead of the previously used “Amazon EC2 Container Service”. If you have built any custom reporting tool that references ECS data in the “Product – Product Name” or “Product – Service Name” columns, please make sure you make necessary changes to reflect the new product name.
- AWS Cost Explorer: In Cost Explorer, Amazon ECS usage will now be identified in the “Service” filter as “Elastic Container Service.” The previous name of “EC2 Container Service” will still be reflected for prior Billing Periods through January 2021.
- AWS Budgets: This change does not impact your existing AWS budgets, as AWS Budget reports and alerts will filter ECS by both the old and new product names. When you create new AWS budgets, we recommend you using the new name ‘Elastic Container Service’, when filtering by service in budgets.
- AWS Savings Plans Coverage Report: In Savings Plan Coverage report, Amazon ECS usage will now be identified in the “Service” filter as “Elastic Container Service” and the previous name of “EC2 Container Service” will still be reflected for prior Billing Periods through January 2021.