AWS IoT Device Management makes it easy for you to manage your fleets of connected devices at any scale. You only pay for what you use, and there are no minimum fees. You will be billed separately for the number of devices registered with our bulk registration workflow, the number of remote actions (e.g. a firmware update) sent to your devices, and the number of index updates and queries for your Fleet Index.
Pricing at a glance
Bulk Registration allows you to register your connected devices in bulk. Your bulk registration costs are based on the number of devices you register.
For example, if you use our registration workflow to register 10,000 devices, you would be charged for 10,000 devices registered. You are also metered if you use our registration workflows for non-registration tasks, such as adding a set of new device attributes to devices already registered with AWS IoT Device Management, or rotating device certificates. If you rotate the device certificates for 5,000 registered devices, you will be charged for 5,000 things registered.
Fleet Indexing and Search maintains an index of your registry, device shadows, device connection state, and detected violations allowing you to find devices or create groups based on any combination of device attribute and state in near real-time. Fleet Indexing and Search is metered by the number of index updates and search queries executed.
Index updates are metered in increments of 1 KB. For example, an index update of 1.5KB is metered as two operations. Index updates occur when update your registry, device shadows, or device lifecycle events. For example, if you update a device shadow of 2 KB, your index update will also be 2 KB. You are charged for Fleet Indexing and Search only after you opt in for the feature. Devices added or removed from your dynamic thing groups are metered as registry operations.
Device Jobs let you send remote actions (e.g. a firmware update or a factory reset) to your devices. Device Jobs is metered on the number of remote actions sent to your devices.
If you create one device job that sends a firmware update to 100 devices, you will be metered for 100 remote actions.
Secure Tunneling allows you create a secure tunnel to an individual device that may be deployed behind a restricted firewall, without the need to modify the firewall configuration.
AWS IoT Device Management’s free tier includes 50 remote actions per month.
The AWS Free Tier is available to you for 12 months starting with the date on which you create your AWS account. When your free usage expires or if your application use exceeds the free usage tiers, you simply pay the above rates. The free usage tier applies across all AWS Regions. Your usage is calculated each month across all regions and is automatically applied to your bill. Note that free usage does not accumulate from one billing period to the next.
Fleet Hub is a web application that enables customers to manage their device fleets connected to AWS IoT. Fleet Hub is offered at no additional cost to customers. When using Fleet Hub, customers are charged for other AWS IoT Device Management features and AWS services using publicly-listed pricing on for those features and services. See the pricing example below for more details.
Pricing Examples for AWS IoT Device Management Components
You have a fleet of 10,000 temperature sensors that you would like to manage with AWS IoT Device Management. You would like to register your devices by uploading device attributes, registering device certificates, and attaching policies for each of your devices. Your cost to register 10,000 devices to AWS IoT Device Management would be calculated as follows:
- Total Bulk Registration Charges = 10,000 devices * $0.10/1,000 things registered = $1.00
You choose to use Fleet Indexing and Search so that you can easily find individual or groups of sensors based upon their device attributes or last reported state. If each of your 10,000 sensors executes 300 index updates a month of size 1.5KB each, your cost will be as follows:
- Since your index update size exceeds 1KB, your updates are metered at the next KB multiple (2KB) as two index updates
- Total Index Update Charges = 10,000 devices * 300 index updates * 2 index updates * $2.25 / 1,000,000 index updates = $13.50 per month
If you query against your Fleet Index 500,000 times per month, your cost will be as follows:
- Total Fleet Indexing Queries Charges = 500,000 queries * $0.05 / 10,000 queries = $2.50 per month
You have a fleet of 5,000 temperature sensors across 3 cities. You would like to execute a configuration change on each sensor with a different configuration setting for each city. If you schedule 3 jobs, each targeted at updating the configuration of all sensors in a single city, your cost will be as follows:
- Total Device Jobs Charges = 5,000 remote actions * $0.003 per remote action = $15
You have a fleet of 600,000 smart bulb devices across the United States. You would like to execute a firmware upgrade on each smart bulb, all in the same calendar month. If you schedule 1 job to update the firmware of all smart bulbs, your cost will be as follows:
This monthly usage volume crosses two different volume tiers.
- First 250,000 Remote Actions: 250,000 remote actions * $0.003 per remote action = $750
- Over 250,000 Remote Actions: (remaining) 350,000 remote actions * $0.0015 per remote action = $525
- Total Device Jobs Charges = $750 + $525 = $1,275
You have a fleet of 10,000 device gateways installed with local proxy and tunneling agent. You have 10 gateways with issues this month, and your team creates 30 tunnels to troubleshoot these device issues. Your cost would be calculated as follows:
- Total Secure Tunneling Charges = 30 tunnels created * $1.00 per tunnel created = $30.00
You have five monthly active users. Each user has 1 visualization and 1 alarm set up on their application to monitor connectivity status. Each user refreshes the visualization once per hour, and the alarm threshold is evaluated once every 15 minutes. Each user also executes five actions per day to restart 10 troubled devices per action. Based on this example, your monthly cost is as follows:
- Total charge for using other Device Management features = $22.59
- Calculating search queries cost:
- Number of search queries for visualizations: 1 visualization * 1 refresh per hour * 24 hours * 30 days = 720
- Number of search queries for alarming: 1 alarm * 4 evaluations per hour * 24 hours * 30 days = 2,880
- Total search queries cost = 3,600 search queries * $0.05 / 10,000 queries = $0.0055 * 5 monthly active users = $0.09
- Calculating remote actions cost:
- Total remote actions for taking action: 5 daily actions * 10 devices per action * 30 days = 1,500
- Total remote actions cost = 1,500 remote actions * $0.003 / remote action * 5 monthly active users = $22.50
- Total charge for other Device Management usage:
- Total Device Management usage charge: $0.09 for search queries + $22.50 for remote actions = $22.59
- Total monthly charges: $22.59
Discover more AWS IoT Device Management features