What does this AWS Solutions Implementation do?
FHIR Works on AWS is an open source software toolkit that facilitates the transferal of health data between providers; irrespective of the software systems, data standards, exchange interfaces, and outputs involved. It implements a serverless FHIR API that supports FHIR resource types and operations to help healthcare providers leverage the FHIR standard to manage healthcare records.
AWS Solutions Implementation overview
The diagram below presents the architecture you can automatically deploy using the solution's implementation guide and accompanying AWS CloudFormation template.
FHIR Works on AWS Solutions Implementation architecture
The AWS CloudFormation template deploys the serverless infrastructure necessary to serve FHIR HTTPS requests. This includes the following:
- One Amazon Cognito user pool, domain, and client to authenticate the requesting user’s identity and determine which group the user is in.
- One Amazon API Gateway toroute the request to a Lambda function. The API Gateway also has an Amazon Cognito authorizer to confirm the request has a valid access_token created by this stack’s Amazon Cognito user pool.
- Two AWS Lambda functions. One to process FHIR requests, routing them to the correct persistence layer, either Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) for unstructured FHIR resources, Amazon DynamoDB for create, read, update, delete (CRUD) operations or Amazon ElasticSearch Service (Amazon ES) for all search operations. Another to read updates from the FHIR resource DynamoDB table and stream those changes to Amazon ES.
- One FHIR Resource DynamoDB table to store all structured FHIR resources, which after a write operation streams the update to the Amazon ES domain.
- One Amazon ES domain to support FHIR searching requests.
- One Amazon S3 bucket to hold FHIR binary resources, such as unstructured data, X-rays, and raw notes.
- Four AWS Key Management Service (AWS KMS) keys to encrypt DynamoDB, Amazon S3, Amazon CloudWatch Logs, and the Amazon ES domain.
Browse our library of AWS Solutions Implementations to get answers to common architectural problems.
Find AWS certified consulting and technology partners to help you get started.
Browse our portfolio of Consulting Offers to get AWS-vetted help with solution deployment.