With Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP, you pay only for the resources you use. There are no minimum fees or set-up charges. There are five Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP components to consider when storing and managing your data: SSD storage, SSD IOPS, capacity pool usage, throughput capacity, and backups.
SSD Storage: You pay for the average amount of storage provisioned for your file systems per month, measured in gigabyte-months "GB-Months".
SSD IOPS: By default, 3 IOPS are included for every GB of SSD storage. You can optionally provision a higher level of IOPS, and you pay for the average IOPS provisioned above your included rate for the month, measured in "IOPS-Months".
Capacity Pool usage: Capacity pool storage is elastic storage that’s cost-optimized for infrequently-accessed data. Amazon FSx automatically transitions data from SSD storage to capacity pool storage based on your access patterns. With capacity pool storage, you pay only for the storage space consumed. Specifically, you pay for the average amount of storage consumed per month, measured in “GB-Months”. For data that is in capacity pool storage, you also pay requests costs (per read and write operation) whenever the data is accessed.
Throughput Capacity: You pay for the average throughput capacity you’ve provisioned for your file systems per month, measured in “MBps-months”. The cost to transfer data between Availability Zones for replication of data is included in the throughput capacity price.
Backups: With backups, you pay only for the storage space consumed. Backups are incremental, which means that only the changes after your most recent backup are saved, so you save on storage costs by not duplicating data. You pay for the average amount of backup storage consumed per month, measured in “GB-months”.
Effective storage pricing for a typical file system (select regions)
Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP supports ONTAP’s storage efficiency features (compression and deduplication) to reduce the storage capacity that your data consumes. You can enable compression and deduplication for data in SSD storage and backups, and you can enable deduplication for data in capacity pool storage. Typical savings are as follows:
Region Effective storage price ($/GB-Mo) – Multi-AZ SSD file system*
|Region||Excluding backups||Including backups|
|US East (N. Virginia)||$0.054||$0.072|
|US West (Oregon)||$0.054||$0.072|
|Africa (Cape Town)||$0.068||$0.088|
|Asia Pacific (Seoul)||$0.060||$0.078|
|AWS GovCloud (US-East)||$0.082||$0.105|
* For a general-purpose file sharing workload with storage efficiency savings and capacity pool tiering. See the pricing example below for details on how we calculate effective storage pricing.
Assume you want to store 100 TB of data in the US East (N. Virginia) Region for an application where 80% of the data is infrequently accessed (industry research and customer analysis shows that on average, 20% of files are actively used and 80% are infrequently accessed). To reduce your storage costs, Amazon FSx automatically tiers 80% of your data (80TB of data) to the capacity pool tier while keeping the remaining 20% of your data (20TB of data) in SSD storage.
Based on typical storage efficiency savings (65% for SSD storage and 30% for capacity pool storage), you provision 7TB of SSD storage capacity for the 20TB of actively-accessed data, and you use 56TB of capacity pool storage for the remaining 80TB of data.
Assume you provision 1024 MBps of throughput capacity (50 MBps of throughput capacity per TB of SSD data) and have an average of 100TB of backup data during the month. Based on typical storage efficiency savings for backups (65%), you use 35TB of backup storage to store the 100TB of backup data.
Estimate cost savings from moving your workloads to AWS
Data transfer within the same AWS Region
There are no data transfer charges when accessing an Amazon FSx file system from the file system’s preferred Availability Zone (AZ).
If you access your data from the same AWS Region, but from an AZ other than your file system’s preferred AZ, you will be charged $0.01/GB in each direction.