Eligible Microsoft server applications can often be deployed on AWS using existing licenses. This allows you to more easily move your workloads to the Amazon Web Services cloud, without any additional Microsoft software licensing fees. This benefit is available to Microsoft Volume Licensing customers with eligible server applications covered by active Microsoft Software Assurance (SA) contracts. Not only will License Mobility make the transition easier for existing SA customers, it provides customers who prefer to purchase perpetual licenses the ability to continue doing so while still taking advantage of the efficiencies of the cloud.
All customers using License Mobility through Software Assurance must complete a license verification process and Microsoft will ensure that you have eligible licenses with active Software Assurance. To start the verification process and review additional details, go to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/licensing-programs/software-assurance-license-mobility.aspx.
The License Mobility Verification Form has a section to provide information about the Authorized Mobility Partner. Please use firstname.lastname@example.org as the email address, Amazon Web Services as the partner name, and aws.amazon.com as the partner website. For further guidance, consult Microsoft's License Mobility Verification Guide (pdf).
Microsoft will provide confirmation to you and to AWS that you have completed this verification process. You may deploy your application server software prior to the verification process being completed. In fact, you can deploy up to ten days before submitting the form. You are responsible for managing true ups and renewals as required under their agreement.
Once the verification process has completed, please submit this License Mobility Verification Form.
To take advantage of this benefit, the following conditions must apply:
1. All Microsoft Server application products migrated to AWS via the License Mobility through Software Assurance program must be covered with active Software Assurance (SA).
2. The server applications must be on the list of eligible products. The list includes:
- Exchange Server
- SharePoint Server
- SQL Server Standard Edition
- SQL Server Enterprise Edition
- SQL Server Business Intelligence Edition
- Skype for Business Server
- System Center Server
- Dynamics CRM Server
- Dynamics AX Server
- Project Server
- Visual Studio Team Foundation Server
- BizTalk Server
- Forefront Identity Manager
- Forefront Unified Access Gateway
- Remote Desktop Services
To view a full list of eligible server application products, see the Microsoft Product Terms at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx
For more detail on Microsoft License Mobility for SQL Server, go to:
3. Eligible Volume Licensing programs include the Enterprise Agreement, Enterprise Subscription Agreement, and Microsoft Open Value Agreement, where Software Assurance is included, and other Microsoft Volume Licensing programs where Software Assurance is an option, such as Microsoft Open License or Select Plus.
4. You maintain appropriate Client Access Licenses (CALs) with Software Assurance in your Volume Licensing agreement for accessing the application servers.
5. Does not include the Microsoft Windows Client operating system, Desktop application products (e.g. Microsoft Office), and Microsoft Windows Server operating system. Learn about other options for these programs on AWS.
6. In order to comply with Microsoft’s “server farm” rules, licenses deployed in a specific AWS Region cannot be moved to another AWS Region for 90 days. For more information, please refer to the Microsoft Product Terms at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx
Are you interested in running Microsoft Windows Server or Windows Server applications, such as SQL or SharePoint on AWS, and would like to have an AWS Sales Representative follow-up with you about your IT project? Please Contact Us.