New Features for Amazon CloudWatch
The Amazon CloudWatch team has put together a really impressive set of new features. Too many, in fact, to fit on this page. I’ve written a series of posts with all of the information. Here’s a summary, with links to each post:
- Basic Monitoring of Amazon EC2 instances at 5-minute intervals at no additional charge.
- Elastic Load Balancer Health Checks -Auto Scaling can now be instructed to automatically replace instances that have been deemed unhealthy by an Elastic Load Balancer.
- Alarms – You can now monitor Amazon CloudWatch metrics, with notification to the Amazon SNS topic of your choice when the metric falls outside of a defined range.
- Auto Scaling Suspend/Resume – You can now push a “big red button” in order to prevent scaling activities from being initiated.
- Auto Scaling Follow the Line -You can now use scheduled actions to perform scaling operations at particular points in time, creating a time-based scaling plan.
- Auto Scaling Policies – You now have more fine-grained control over the modifications to the size of your AutoScaling groups.
- VPC and HPC Support – You can now use AutoScaling with Amazon EC2 instances that are running within your Virtual Private Cloud or as Cluster Compute instances.