Introducing 10 minute cloud tutorials for research
The cloud boasts big benefits for researchers and research IT, with vast compute resources that can be configured quickly, state of the art data analytics tools, virtually unlimited storage, and the ability to share and collaborate with colleagues all over the world. Learning how to leverage the cloud for research can take time – which researchers don’t often have. Also, researchers have specific tools and resources they like to use in the cloud that aren’t usually covered in traditional cloud training. This is why Amazon Web Services (AWS) created the Ten Minute Tutorials for Research series.
Ten Minute Tutorials for Research provides a way for researchers to quickly learn about topics and tools that are specific to their unique needs, covering the basics on how to get started and providing helpful links to get more in-depth information and support—all in ten minutes.
The series is led by AWS solutions architects and AWS research business development specialists who work closely with researchers. Many of the presenters are former researchers themselves and content is specifically geared to a research audience. “Researchers many times want to quickly see if there are optimizations to running their workload and analytics on the cloud, but don’t want to spend hours on training before seeing relevance. The Ten Minute Tutorials for Research let researchers quickly see the capabilities of cloud of running their research in a secure fashion more cost effectively over a coffee break or lunch,” said Yuri Horvath, higher education leader, solutions architects at AWS.
The topics selected for the Ten Minute Tutorials for Research series are based on common requests from researchers, including:
- Cost Monitoring and Budgets on AWS
- Jupyter Notebooks on AWS (Sagemaker Studio)
- MATLAB on AWS
- RStudio on AWS
- Setting up a multi-user account on AWS
- Storage: Moving your USB drives to AWS
- Amazon S3 Storage Classes and Lifecycle Policies
- Lustre with OpenData on AWS.
- Omero on AWS
- Computational Fluid Dynamics on AWS
- RClone WebGui on AWS
- REDCap on AWS
The Ten Minute Tutorials for Research is another training resource created by AWS to help research and research IT. Check out other resources including:
- No Cost Research Training Pathway: A training pathway for foundational AWS services that are commonly used by researchers and research IT. Training is on-demand, self-paced. and provided at no cost.
- Research IT Training: In-depth talks led by AWS solutions architects and AWS specialists that go into depth on topics of interest for research IT.
- Research Seminars: Talks led by researchers who describe how they used the AWS cloud to help solve complex research questions.
Additional topics will be posted soon, so visit Ten Minute Tutorials for Research to stay up to date. If you have suggestions for topics, please reach out to the AWS research team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to the AWS Public Sector Blog newsletter to get the latest in AWS tools, solutions, and innovations from the public sector delivered to your inbox or contact us.
The AWS Public Sector Blog needs your help. Please take a few minutes to share insights regarding your experience with the AWS Public Sector Blog in this survey, and we’ll use feedback from the survey to create more content aligned with the preferences of our readers.