Create your Cost and Usage Report
- Navigate to the billing console and create your report
- Learn the step-by-step instructions from this user guide
- Set up CUR using Cloud Formation Template.
Note: we recommend that you select the option “Include resource IDs”, as it provides necessary details when you need to detect and understand your spend.
If you prefer to have the latest cost and usage data in your CUR, you can choose the option “Overwrite existing report” option. This will ensure you have the most up to date report in your S3 bucket.
When you select the option “Enable report data integration for”, it will simplify your process to integrate your CUR with other AWS analytics tools, such as Amazon Athena, Amazon Redshift, and Amazon QuickSight.
Once you have selected your options you can create the report. It will take approximately 24 hours to generate.
To make your cost and usage data more meaningful to you and easier to categorize, we recommend enabling your Cost Categories and cost allocation tags.
Each column within the AWS CUR report has a specific purpose. You can start with the following 5 W’s:
- What is the most common cost value used = line_item_unblended_cost
- Who used it = line_item_usage_account_id
- When was it used = line_item_usage_start_date
- Where in the world are you using this = product_region
- Why you spent this money = line_item_resource_id
Ready to get started?
Learn how to control your AWS costs using the AWS Free Tier and AWS Budgets.
Instantly get access to the AWS Free Tier and start experimenting with AWS.
Better analyze and understand your AWS Costs & Usage.