Biblioteca de Catalunya Case Study
The Biblioteca de Catalunya is a Catalan national library located in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. Its mission is to collect, preserve, and spread Catalan bibliographic production and that related to the Catalonian linguistic area, to look after its conservation, and to spread its bibliographic heritage while maintaining the status of a center for research and consultation.
Amazon Glacier allowed us to achieve a very secure and affordable remote backup service, reducing costs by four times compared to the previous backup solution, based on the remote replication of our storage infrastructure."
Karibel Pérez Villalba
Coordinator of Information Technology, Biblioteca de Catalunya
- Needed to preserve digitized and digital-born materials.
- Host documents in the public domain, available via the Internet.
- Needed to store and archive 26 TB of data and support 1 TB/month growth in database.
- Needed long-term database backup capabilities.
- Must be able to access stored data, anytime and anywhere.
Why Amazon Web Services
- Initially, Biblioteca de Catalunya chose an on-premises backup solution through another provider using remote replication, but found it was too expensive. The library looked for a cost-effective alternative and chose to migrate to AWS. Using a hybrid IT architecture, it created a backup and archive solution with cost-effective high availability.
- Biblioteca de Catalunya uses Amazon Glacier—a secure, durable, low-cost storage service for data archiving and long-term backup—to archive its digital, audio, and video assets.
- The organization also uses CloudBerry Backup software to manage files on the cloud as it would on local computers, making disaster recovery simple, reliable, and affordable.
- In the future, Biblioteca de Catalunya is looking to integrate Amazon Glacier with Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) to enable access to certain data via the Internet. This will help the organization further optimize storage costs by moving infrequently accessed objects from Amazon S3 to Amazon Glacier.
- Cost savings: By using Amazon Glacier, Biblioteca de Catalunya has saved four times the costs compared to storing its 26 TB of data with its previous on-premises backup solution.
- Availability: Biblioteca de Catalunya can archive older media content reliably, and planning to move it to Amazon S3 for distribution when needed, giving it low-cost options for various retrieval needs, from a few minutes to several hours.
About Biblioteca de Catalunya
The Biblioteca de Catalunya is a Catalan national library located in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain.
AWS Services Used
Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) is an object storage service that offers industry-leading scalability, data availability, security, and performance.
Amazon S3 Glacier
Amazon S3 Glacier and S3 Glacier Deep Archive are a secure, durable, and extremely low-cost Amazon S3 cloud storage classes for data archiving and long-term backup.
CloudBerry Backup Server Edition
CloudBerry Backup is a secure online backup solution that helps organizations to store backup copies of their data in online storage.
Companies of all sizes across all industries are transforming their businesses every day using AWS. Contact our experts and start your own AWS Cloud journey today.