Using license included instances allows you access to fully compliant Microsoft software licenses bundled with Amazon EC2 or Amazon RDS instances and pay for them as you go with no upfront costs or long-term investments. You can choose from Amazon Machine Images (AMIs) with just Microsoft Windows Server, or with Windows Server and Microsoft SQL Server pre-installed. Amazon RDS for SQL Server offers databases without the time consuming administrative tasks. Whether using EC2 or RDS, buying from AWS with Microsoft licensing included has many benefits.
- AWS manages licensing compliance
- Supports current and many legacy versions of Microsoft software
- Windows Server Client Access Licenses (CALs) are not required
If you’ve already purchased Microsoft software, bring your own licenses (BYOL) to the AWS Cloud.
- Take advantage of the efficiencies of the cloud while still purchasing perpetual licenses
- Extend the lifecycle of your software without additional hardware costs
- Expedite your migration to the cloud by using existing virtual machine images
You have two options for bringing licenses to AWS:
- Without Software Assurance: Using Amazon EC2 Dedicated Hosts, you can access hardware fully dedicated to your use, making it possible to bring Microsoft software licenses to the AWS Cloud, even without Software Assurance.
Learn more >>
- With Software Assurance: Microsoft License Mobility through Software Assurance allows many Microsoft software licenses to be brought into the AWS Cloud for use with Amazon EC2 or Amazon RDS instances.
Learn more >>
When you purchase an Amazon EC2 instance with a Windows Server-based AMI, or an Amazon RDS for SQL Server license included instance, Amazon takes care of licensing costs and compliance for you. Both Amazon EC2 and Amazon RDS offer a variety of instance types and sizes, allowing you to select the optimal configuration for your target workload. Amazon EC2 AMIs with Windows Server require no Client Access Licenses (CALs). They also include two Microsoft Remote Desktop Services licenses for administrative purposes. Purchasing an Amazon EC2 for Windows Server license included instance eliminates licensing overhead and enables you to rapidly provision the compute resources you need.
Microsoft Windows Server and Microsoft SQL Server are available as AMIs, in a variety of combinations of current and legacy versions.
For details, please visit aws.amazon.com/windows/amis.
Amazon EC2 offers Dedicated Hosts, which allow you to access hardware that's fully dedicated for your use. You can use your own licensed software on dedicated infrastructure, even without Software Assurance. Use your own MSDN licenses in AWS on Amazon EC2 Dedicated Hosts or Dedicated Instances to support your development and test needs.
If you have purchased Software Assurance with your Microsoft software, you may be able to take advantage of your existing Microsoft volume licensing investments and move to the AWS Cloud without paying additional Microsoft licensing fees. The License Mobility benefit is available to Microsoft customers with eligible server applications covered by active Microsoft Software Assurance. You can use AWS VM Import to bring virtual machine images from your on-premises environment to the AWS Cloud, enabling you to bring your existing Microsoft software licenses and virtual machine configurations to AWS.
Eligible Products Include
For a complete list, please visit aws.amazon.com/windows/resources/licensemobility
The use of Microsoft software is subject to Microsoft’s terms. You are responsible for complying with Microsoft licensing. This document is only a guide for your convenience and you are not entitled to rely on its descriptions and it does not constitute legal advice. If you have questions about your licensing or rights to Microsoft software, please consult your legal team, Microsoft, or your Microsoft reseller. This page was last updated on November 23, 2015 and was created based on the September 2015 Microsoft Product Terms.