Cloud computing is the new normal. Thousands of education and research organisations trust Amazon Web Services (AWS) for a range of compute, storage, database, analytics, application, and network services, along with capabilities in artificial intelligence, deep learning, machine learning, and Internet-of-Things.
We are delighted that AWS services are now available directly through the Pan-European GÉANT Framework Agreement, through which procurement, contracting, data privacy, data integration are already taken care of. Full benefits of working with AWS and GÉANT include:
- No more complex and time consuming tenders and contract procedures
- Standard contracts compliant with EU data security and privacy regulations
- Direct connection from the AWS data network through NREN and GEANT high performance network peering arrangements
- A waiver for data egress charges (with participating resellers)
- Per-second billing, frequent price reductions, and cost optimisation
- Up to 75% savings with EC2 Reserved Instances
- Up to 90% savings with the EC2 Spot Instances
- Bring-Your-Own-License discounts for Microsoft and Oracle instances
- Fully tested and supported VMWare Cloud on AWS and SAP on AWS workloads
- Global Infrastructure of 53 Availability Zones within 18 Geographic Regions
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Centre
AWS services are available through AWS partners appointed on the framework. To get started and learn more, contact your AWS partner of choice in your country. Users can benefit from single sign-on to AWS services using eduGAIN federated identities through AWS partner TI Sparkle
Learn more about how AWS services help education and research move faster and operate more securely:
AWS Educate is a grant award cloud skills program for students and educators. Program members receive AWS service credits, personalized learning pathways, and digital badges, with access to a job board on completion.
Check out how universities and colleges are training the builders of the future through AWS Educate: University of Pennsylvania, British Columbia Institute of Technology, and Beuth University in Berlin
AWS Research Cloud Program helps you focus on science – not servers – offering the confidence that your data and research budget are safe in the AWS Cloud. Sign up to download the AWS Researcher’s Cloud Handbook, which also includes all you need to know about procuring through the GÉANT framework with our partners. See how research is being transformed in the cloud – watch customer videos and read researchers’ stories.
Previously, large datasets such as satellite imagery or genomic data required hours or days to locate, download, customize, and analyse. Now, anyone can analyse any volume of data without needing to download or store it themselves. View a list of available datasets.
Build your self-service supercomputer (HPC clusters) in minutes and access 1,300+ science-focussed Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications in the AWS Marketplace. Alces Flight lets researchers spin up multiple nodes that come pre-installed with compilers and libraries, and covers nearly every domain from engineering, chemistry, and genomics, to statistics and remote sensing.
AWS Services are available in Europe under the GÉANT Framework agreement through the following resellers: