Choose Your Container Application Infrastructure
GETTING STARTED GUIDE
Choosing the right infrastructure
There are different scenarios where you may consider using containers on AWS. Whether you're trying containers for the first time, spinning out parts of an on-prem solution to microservices in the cloud, or are new to the cloud (Welcome!), containers can help you address a number of issues. On-going maintenance and the orchestration of your containers, needing the flexibility to scale, using a number of Cloud Native services, or costs are some of the main factors that will drive your decisions.
AWS has services to address each of these requirements, and this guide is intended to help you make a decision using a subset of the services available. Each option has a detailed tutorial that will take you to the finish line quickly.
Write code, AWS takes care of the infrastructure
- Focus on writing the code and creating the container.
- Fully managed infrastructure.
- Simple deployment models, or fixed pricing.
Light-weight and easy to manage
The simplest way to get started with containers. This option is best if you want:
- To deploy simple web applications, websites, and development/testing environments
- A great place to learn how to use containers
- Fixed, low cost monthly pricing
Simple to use and easy to scaleBring your container image, and AWS will configure and deploy it. This option is best if you want:
- Deploy a container image from either Amazon ECR or DockerHub
- Both public and private repositories are supported
- Auto-scale, pay as you go
Guided, best-practice microservices deployment
- Easy set up of CI/CD and all infrastructure needed to deploy and run services
- Start with one service, add more as needed
Guided and automated deployment lifecycle
Deploy your microservice with guided, best-practice help. Let the Copilot CLI guide you with setting up your first service, then deploy it; add additional services from the same CLI at any time. This option is best if you want:
- Microservice architecture with multiple services deployed as containers
- Guidance on infrastructure choices, with the ability to customize
Full control using container orchestration
- Highest level of control of the complete technology stack
- Full support of the underlying operating system plus custom configurations
- Easiest conversion from on-premise virtual machines to cloud
Global-scale and simple to manage
Take advantage of a fully managed container orchestration service that helps you easily deploy, manage, and scale containerized applications. This option is best if you want:
- A completely managed container orchestration platform
- Global scalability
- Lower operational overhead
- Broader support for cloud native technologies such as Docker
Global-scale and the most flexibility
Take advantage of the flexibility of Kubernetes with the security and resiliency of being an AWS managed service. This option is best if you want:
- To use Kubernetes and have a managed control plane
- Consistent open source APIs
- To take advantage of other Cloud Native technologies
- To engage with the vibrant Kubernetes community