AWS Week in Review – March 14, 2016
Let’s take a quick look at what happened in AWS-land last week:
New & Notable Open Source
- Tumbless is a blogging platform based only on S3 and your browser.
- aws-amicleaner cleans up old, unused AMIs and related snapshots.
- alexa-aws-administration helps you to do various administration tasks in your AWS account using an Amazon Echo.
- aws-s3-zipper takes an S3 bucket folder and zips it for streaming.
- aws-lambda-helper is a collection of helper methods for Lambda.
- CloudSeed lets you describe a list of AWS stack components, then configure and build a custom stack.
- aws-ses-sns-dashboard is a Go-based dashboard with SES and SNS notifications.
- snowplow-scala-analytics-sdk is a Scala SDK for working with Snowplow-enriched events in Spark using Lambda.
- StackFormation is a lightweight CloudFormation stack manager.
- aws-keychain-util is a command-line utility to manage AWS credentials in the OS X keychain.
New SlideShare Presentations
- Account Separation and Mandatory Access Control on AWS.
- Crypto Options in AWS.
- Security Day IAM Recommended Practices.
- What’s Nearly New.
New Customer Success Stories
- AdiMap measures online advertising spend, app financials, and salary data. Using AWS, AdiMap builds predictive financial models without spending millions on compute resources and hardware, providing scalable financial intelligence and reducing time to market for new products.
- Change.org is the world’s largest and fastest growing social change platform, with more than 125 million users in 196 countries starting campaigns and mobilizing support for local causes and global issues. The organization runs its website and business intelligence cluster on AWS, and runs its continuous integration and testing on Solano CI from APN member Solano Labs.
- Flatiron Health has been able to reach 230 cancer clinics and 2,200 clinicians across the United States with a solution that captures and organizes oncology data, helping to support cancer treatments. Flatiron moved its solution to AWS to improve speed to market and to minimize the time and expense that the startup company needs to devote to its IT infrastructure.
- Global Red specializes in lifecycle marketing, including strategy, data, analytics, and execution across all digital channels. By re-architecting and migrating its data platform and related applications to AWS, Global Red reduced the time to onboard new customers for its advertising trading desk and marketing automation platforms by 50 percent.
- GMobi primarily sells its products and services to Original Design Manufacturers and Original Equipment Manufacturers in emerging markets. By running its “over the air” firmware updates, mobile billing, and advertising software development kits in an AWS infrastructure, GMobi has grown to support 120 million users while maintaining more than 99.9 percent availability
- Time Inc.’s new chief technology officer joined the renowned media organization in early 2014, and promised big changes. With AWS, Time Inc. can leverage security features and functionality that mirror the benefits of cloud computing, including rich tools, best-in-class industry standards and protocols and lower costs.
- Seaco Global is one of the world’s largest shipping companies. By using AWS to run SAP applications, it also reduced the time needed to complete monthly business processes to just one day, down from four days in the past.
New YouTube Videos
- AWS Database Migration Service.
- Introduction to Amazon WorkSpaces.
- AWS Pop-up Loft.
- Save the Date – AWS re:Invent 2016.
- March 22nd – Live Event (Seattle, Washington) – AWS Big Data Meetup – Intro to SparkR.
- March 22nd – Live Broadcast – VoiceOps: Commanding and Controlling Your AWS environments using Amazon Echo and Lambda.
- March 23rd – Live Event (Atlanta, Georgia) – AWS Key Management Service & AWS Storage Services for a Hybrid Cloud (Atlanta AWS Community).
- April 6th – Live Event (Boston, Massachusetts) AWS at Bio-IT World.
- April 18th & 19th – Live Event (Chicago, Illinois) – AWS Summit – Chicago.
- April 20th – Live Event (Melbourne, Australia) – Inaugural Melbourne Serverless Meetup.
- April 26th – Live Event (Sydney, Australia) – AWS Partner Summit.
- April 26th – Live Event (Sydney, Australia) – Inaugural Sydney Serverless Meetup.
- ParkMyCloud 2016 AWS Cost-Reduction Roadshow.
- AWS Loft – San Francisco.
- AWS Loft – New York.
- AWS Loft – Tel Aviv.
- AWS Zombie Microservices Roadshow.
- AWS Public Sector Events.
- AWS Global Summit Series.