2016 AWS Partner Summit Singapore – Recap
Last Friday, the AWS ASEAN partner team hosted the AWS Partner Summit – Singapore. The event was intended to provide partners with valuable insight into key trends on AWS, and to help partners to connect with both one another and with AWS team members. I was fortunate enough to be a part of the event, and had a great opportunity to connect with a number of consulting and technology partners from across the region. Similar to the Partner Summit – Sydney, the event featured guest speakers from AWS, APN member firms, and AWS customer firms.
Cam McNaught, Head of ASEAN Channels & Alliances kicked off the event. He was joined by Terry Wise, WW VP of Channels & Alliances, AWS, who spoke to partners about what we’ve seen to be some keys to partner success on AWS, which include:
- Build solutions to map to Competencies
- Become AWS Trained & Certified
- Bring solutions to AWS Marketplace
- Engage with field sellers
- Collaborate with other APN Partners
Terry also discussed key trends representing a large opportunity for Partners on AWS, and Premier Consulting Partner BlazeClan took the stage to discuss a successful cloud migration the company completed for a large company in region.
Three sessions were hosted across different topics:
- Succeeding with AWS by Delivering High Value Services, presented by Darren Thayre, AWS Professional Services
- Building a Big Data and Analytics Practice – Partner Opportunities with AWS, presented by Craig Stires, Head of Big Data and Analytics, APAC
- Beyond the Fridge: Every Thing Will Be Connected, presented by Dr. Werner Vogels, CTO, Amazon.com
The sessions featured guest speakers from Seaco and Trax. One of my favorite quotes came from ‘Succeeding with AWS by Delivering High Value Services’, when Brandon O’Neill, Director of IT Services, Seaco, explained what the company was looking for in a partner: “We were looking for a mentor to help guide us onto the cloud”.
AWS Partner Recognition
The ASEAN team chose to recognize three APN Partners in three different categories: AWS Rising Star Partner, AWS Innovation Partner, and AWS Partner of the Year ASEAN 2015. Congratulations to the following APN Partners!
- AWS Rising Star Partner – Cloud Comrade Pte Ltd
- AWS Innovation Partner – Fusionex
- AWS Partner of the Year ASEAN 2015 – BlazeClan
I loved one of the main approaches the team took to bring partners together. Throughout the event, folks had the opportunity to grab coffee…but they couldn’t grab just a single coffee. Coffees were paired together, and partners were meant to grab two coffees and then ‘partner up’, share the coffees, and strike up a conversation. The team also set up networking booths in the main hall for partners to learn more about key AWS services and programs, including AWS Partner Marketing and AWS Training & Certification.
Did you miss the Partner Summit? We live tweeted the day from @AWS_Partners – follow us and re-visit the event minute-by-minute!