AWS Auto Scaling Documentation
Using AWS Auto Scaling, you can configure automatic scaling for the scalable resources powering your application from a single unified interface, including:
- Amazon EC2: Launch or terminate Amazon EC2 instances in an Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling group.
- Amazon EC2 Spot Fleets: Launch or terminate instances from an Amazon EC2 Spot Fleet, or automatically replace instances that get interrupted for price or capacity reasons.
- Amazon ECS: Adjust ECS service desired count up or down to respond to load variations.
- Amazon DynamoDB: Enable a DynamoDB table or a global secondary index to increase its provisioned read and write capacity to handle sudden increases in traffic without throttling.
- Amazon Aurora: Dynamically adjust the number of Aurora Read Replicas provisioned for an Aurora DB cluster to handle sudden increases in active connections or workload.
Automatic resource discovery
AWS Auto Scaling is designed to scan your environment and automatically discover the scalable cloud resources underlying your application, so you don’t have to manually identify these resources one by one through individual service interfaces.
Built-in scaling strategies
Using AWS Auto Scaling, you can select one of three predefined optimization strategies designed to optimize performance, optimize costs, or balance the two. If you prefer, you can set your own target resource utilization. Using your selected scaling strategy, AWS Auto Scaling will create the scaling policies for each of your resources for you.
Predictive Scaling is designed to predict future traffic, including regularly-occurring spikes, and provision the right number of EC2 instances in advance of predicted changes. Predictive Scaling’s machine learning algorithms are designed to detect changes in daily and weekly patterns, automatically adjusting their forecasts. This is designed to remove the need for manual adjustment of Auto Scaling parameters over time, making Auto Scaling simpler to configure and consume. Auto Scaling enhanced with Predictive Scaling can help you deliver faster, simpler, and more accurate capacity provisioning and result in lower cost and more responsive applications.
AWS Auto Scaling is designed to automate the creation of target tracking scaling policies for the resources in your scaling plan, using your selected scaling strategy to set the target values for each metric. AWS Auto Scalingios is also designed to create and manage the Amazon CloudWatch alarms that trigger scaling adjustments for each of your resources.
Smart scaling policies
AWS Auto Scaling is designed to calculate the appropriate scaling adjustments and add and remove capacity as needed to keep your metrics on target. AWS target tracking scaling policies are designed to be self-optimizing, and learn your actual load patterns to minimize fluctuations in resource capacity. This is designed to result in smoother, smarter scaling and you pay only for the resources you actually need.
For additional information about service controls, security features and functionalities, including, as applicable, information about storing, retrieving, modifying, restricting, and deleting data, please see https://docs.aws.amazon.com/index.html. This additional information does not form part of the Documentation for purposes of the AWS Customer Agreement available at http://aws.amazon.com/agreement, or other agreement between you and AWS governing your use of AWS’s services.