This Quick Start sets up an AWS architecture for SIOS DataKeeper Cluster Edition and deploys it into your AWS account.
SIOS DataKeeper Cluster Edition is a highly optimized, host-based replication solution that helps configure and manage high-availability SQL Server clusters on the cloud, and integrates seamlessly with Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC). WSFC features, such as cross-subnet failover and tunable heartbeat parameters, make it possible for administrators to deploy geographically dispersed clusters. SIOS DataKeeper provides the data replication mechanism that extends WSFC, and enables administrators to take advantage of these advanced features to support high availability and disaster recovery configurations without the need for shared storage.
This Quick Start uses AWS CloudFormation templates to deploy SIOS DataKeeper Cluster Edition into a virtual private cloud (VPC) in a single AWS Region, across two Availability Zones.
This Quick Start was developed by SIOS Technology Corp. in collaboration with AWS. SIOS is an AWS Competency Partner.
What you'll build
How to deploy
Cost and licenses
What you'll build
Use this Quick Start to automatically set up the following SIOS DataKeeper replication environment on AWS:
- A virtual private cloud (VPC) that spans two Availability Zones and includes two public and two private subnets.*
- An internet gateway to allow access to the internet.*
- In the public subnets, two Remote Desktop Gateway servers for remote administration.*
- In the public subnets, two NAT gateways to allow outbound Internet access for resources in the private subnets.*
- In the private subnets, two Active Directory domain controllers.*
- In the private subnets, two cluster nodes featuring SIOS DataKeeper replication software and SQL Server 2014.
* The template that deploys the Quick Start into an existing VPC skips the tasks marked by asterisks and prompts you for your existing VPC configuration.
Technical specifications for this architecture:
Component Details VPC Single AWS Region with two Availability Zones. Instance type Minimum recommended: m3.xlarge.
Operating system See the DKCE Support Matrix. Elastic IP An Elastic IP address connected to the Remote Desktop Gateway server. Instances Four instances: two DNS / Active Directory domain controllers and two SIOS DataKeeper / SQL Server cluster nodes. SQL Server Elastic network interface (ENI) with three IPs for each SQL Server instance. The primary ENI IP is statically defined in Windows and used by SIOS DataKeeper Cluster Edition. Two IPs are maintained by Amazon EC2, and used by WSFC and SQL Server 2014. Volumes Two volumes (Amazon EBS and NTFS only): one primary volume (C drive) and one additional volume for replicated data storage.
How to deploy
To build your SIOS DataKeeper environment on AWS, follow the instructions in the deployment guide. The deployment process includes these steps:
- If you don't already have an AWS account, sign up at https://aws.amazon.com.
- Subscribe to the SIOS DataKeeper Cluster Edition AMI in the AWS Marketplace. Two licensing options are available:
- Launch the Quick Start. You can choose from the following two options. Deployment into a new VPC takes about three hours; deployment into an existing VPC takes about two hours.
- Test the deployment by launching Failover Cluster Manager on one of the replication nodes, and switching over resources.
To customize your deployment, you can choose different instance types for your resources; configure the data volume type, size, and IOPS for the SQL Server drive; and customize the Active Directory, Remote Desktop Gateway, and failover cluster configuration.
Cost and licenses
You are responsible for the cost of the AWS services used while running this Quick Start reference deployment. There is no additional cost for using the Quick Start.
The AWS CloudFormation template for this Quick Start includes configuration parameters that you can customize. Some of these settings, such as instance type, will affect the cost of deployment. For cost estimates, see the pricing pages for each AWS service you will be using. Prices are subject to change.
This Quick Start uses Amazon Machine Images (AMIs) from AWS Marketplace. It supports two licensing options:
- Pay as you go (PAYG) — Use this consumption-based option to pay an hourly fee determined by usage. Current prices are listed on the AWS Marketplace page and billed to your AWS account. This option doesn’t require a license for SIOS DataKeeper.
- Bring your own license (BYOL) — Use this option if you have a current license for SIOS DataKeeper Cluster Edition (which requires a run-time license for each server). You can deploy the Quick Start without first signing up for a license, but you must have a license to start and run SIOS DataKeeper Cluster Edition. You can contact SIOS to request a run-time license or a 14-day, free, trial license.