Posted On: Feb 4, 2019
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is pleased to release a major update to the Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) on AWS Quick Start. This Quick Start automatically deploys AD DS on the AWS Cloud and now includes Windows PowerShell Desired State Configuration (DSC) and AWS Systems Manager Automation documents.
This Quick Start is for organizations running workloads in the AWS Cloud that require secure, low-latency connectivity to AD DS and Domain Name System (DNS) services.
Choose from three different scenarios:
- Scenario 1: Deploy and manage your own AD DS on AWS
- Scenario 2: Extend on-premises AD DS installation to the AWS Cloud
- Scenario 3: Deploy AD DS with AWS Directory Service on the AWS Cloud
In each scenario, AD DS can be deployed into a new or existing virtual private cloud (VPC).
In scenarios 1 and 2, the architecture has been reconfigured to deploy AD DS in a single region-based site that spans two Availability Zones. Scenario 1 has also been updated to use AWS Systems Manager Automation documents to set up and configure AD DS and AD-integrated DNS.
To try out the updated Quick Start, use the following resources:
- View the architecture and details
- View the deployment guide for step-by-step instructions — HTML | PDF
- Download the AWS CloudFormation templates that automate the deployment
For additional AWS Quick Start reference deployments, see our catalog.
Quick Starts are automated reference deployments for key workloads on the AWS Cloud. Each Quick Start launches, configures, and runs the AWS compute, network, storage, and other services required to deploy a specific workload on AWS, using AWS best practices for security and availability.