This Quick Start automatically deploys a self-service cloud analytics environment on the AWS Cloud, using software from Informatica and Tableau, integrated with AWS services.
This cloud analytics solution enables you to connect to cloud and on-premises data sources, and to catalog and profile your data assets for self-service analysis and visualization. It includes the following services:
- Informatica Intelligent Cloud Services, for secure data pipelines to cloud and on-premises data.
- Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog (EDC), for data source cataloging that provides provenance, lineage, and relationships for data assets. A plug-in enables users to access business and technical context from within Tableau.
- Tableau Server, for secure, governed visual analytics.
- Amazon Redshift, for fast, cost-effective data warehousing.
- Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) with Oracle Database, for storing aggregate data for the Tableau dashboards.
The Quick Start uses AWS CloudFormation templates to deploy the solution either into a new virtual private cloud (VPC) in your AWS account, or into your existing AWS environment.
What you'll build
How to deploy
Cost and licenses
What you'll build
The Quick Start deploys the following infrastructure for the cloud analytics solution:
- A virtual private cloud (VPC) that spans two Availability Zones for high availability, configured with public and private subnets.
- In the public subnets, a Remote Desktop Gateway instance in an Auto Scaling group, to provide remote administration and secure access to Microsoft Windows instances.
- In the public subnets, NAT gateways to provide outbound internet connectivity for instances in the private subnets.
- AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) roles to enable AWS resources created through the Quick Start to access other AWS resources when required.
The Quick Start gives you the option to build a new VPC infrastructure with these components or use your existing VPC infrastructure.
Within this infrastructure, the Quick Start deploys:
- Amazon Redshift as the data warehouse, to provide full fact tables, ad-hoc exploration and aggregation, and filtered drill-downs.
- Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) to store the datasets, dashboards, and SQL queries for the Quick Start.
- A sample dataset that demonstrates the cloud analytics workflow.
- Amazon RDS with Oracle Database, which provides the Quick Start with high-query-volume aggregate tables that feed scale-out dashboards. Amazon RDS is deployed in multiple Availability Zones for high availability.
- A single-node deployment of Tableau Server with the ability to host and serve analytics dashboards and workbooks, and a sample Tableau Server dashboard that demonstrates how to connect to multiple data sources in AWS to optimize performance.
- Informatica EDC services, including the Informatica domain and the Model Repository Service, for data source cataloging.
- Informatica Intellligent Cloud Services, for secure data pipelines to cloud and on-premises data.
- Informatica Cloud Secure Agent, to run tasks and enable secure communications across the firewall between your organization and Informatica Intelligent Cloud Services.
How to deploy
To build your cloud analytics environment, follow the instructions in the deployment guide. The deployment process includes these steps:
- If you don't already have an AWS account, sign up at https://aws.amazon.com.
- Register at Informatica Marketplace.
- Launch the Quick Start. The deployment takes about two hours. You can choose from two options:
- Monitor the deployment, and get more information about the resources that were created.
- Test the deployment by accessing the EDC catalog, Tableau Server, and Informatica Intelligent Cloud Services.
The Quick Start includes parameters that you can customize. For example, you can change the VPC configuration and customize settings for Amazon RDS, Informatica software, and Tableau Server.
Cost and licenses
You are responsible for the cost of the AWS services used while running this Quick Start reference deployment. There is no additional cost for using the Quick Start.
The AWS CloudFormation templates for this Quick Start include configuration parameters that you can customize. Some of these settings will affect the cost of deployment. See the pricing pages for each AWS service you will be using for cost estimates.
Tip After you deploy the Quick Start, we recommend that you enable the AWS Cost and Usage Report to track costs associated with the Quick Start. This report delivers billing metrics to an S3 bucket in your account. It provides cost estimates based on usage throughout each month, and finalizes the data at the end of the month. For more information about the report, see the AWS documentation.
This Quick Start requires a license or trial subscription to deploy Informatica Intelligent Cloud Services, Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog, and Tableau Server. You must register at Informatica Marketplace to obtain a trial license for Informatica Intelligent Cloud Services and to create a trial organization. Deploying the Quick Start will automatically activate Enterprise Data Catalog and Tableau Server software and trial license keys.
This Quick Start reference deployment is related to a solution featured in Solution Space that includes a solution brief, optional consulting offers crafted by AWS Competency Partners, and AWS co-investment in proof-of-concept (PoC) projects. To learn more about these resources, visit Solution Space.