This Quick Start automatically deploys Micro Focus Enterprise Server into a new or existing virtual private cloud (VPC) on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The Quick Start includes AWS CloudFormation templates and a deployment guide with step-by-step instructions. It also includes an optional BankDemo demonstration application for testing the deployment.
Micro Focus Enterprise Server is an application deployment environment for IBM mainframe applications that have been running on the IBM z/OS operating system. Enterprise Server enables you to modernize and integrate your mainframe applications with technologies such as .NET and Java. It also provides flexible application deployment—across Linux and Microsoft Windows—on AWS.
This Quick Start is intended for:
- System integrators and Micro Focus customers who have deployed an IBM mainframe workload to Enterprise Server on premises, and want to migrate these rehosted applications to AWS.
- Those who want to explore moving an IBM mainframe workload to AWS, and need a fully functioning production server for running mainframe applications that they can deploy quickly.
This Quick Start was developed by Micro Focus, Inc. in collaboration with AWS. Micro Focus is an
What you'll build
How to deploy
Cost and licenses
What you'll build
The Quick Start sets up the following:
- A highly available architecture that spans two Availability Zones.*
- A VPC configured with public and private subnets, according to AWS best practices, to provide you with your own virtual network on AWS.*
- An internet gateway to allow access to the internet.*
When you deploy the optional BankDemo demonstration application, TN3270 communications from the internet also flow through the internet gateway.
- In the public subnets, managed NAT gateways to allow outbound internet access for resources in the private subnets.*
- Optional Remote Desktop Gateway (RD Gateway) instances in the public subnets for administrative access.
- In the private subnets, Enterprise Server instances that can be accessed via a TN3270 terminal emulator or HTTP.
- A Network Load Balancer to automatically distribute requests for the BankDemo demonstration application to the deployed Enterprise Server instances.
- An optional Fileshare instance that is preconfigured to be accessible from the Enterprise Server instances (via Fileshare) and accessible directly via the Common Internet File System (CIFS) protocol share for batch processing.
- Optional Microsoft SQL Server database connectivity using Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) for SQL Server with support for failover and automated backups.
- AWS Directory Service for Microsoft Active Directory (also known as AWS Managed Microsoft AD).
* The template that deploys the Quick Start into an existing VPC skips the tasks marked by asterisks and prompts you for your existing VPC configuration.
How to deploy
To deploy Micro Focus Enterprise Server on AWS, follow the instructions in the deployment guide. The deployment process includes these steps:
- If you don't already have an AWS account, sign up at https://aws.amazon.com.
- Review the terms of the Micro Focus End User License Agreement.
- Launch the Quick Start. Each deployment takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes. You can choose from two options:
- Test the deployment by running an optional demonstration application called BankDemo.
Cost and licenses
You are responsible for the cost of the AWS services used while running this Quick Start reference deployment. There is no additional cost for using the Quick Start.
The AWS CloudFormation template for this Quick Start includes configuration parameters that you can customize. Some of these parameters, such as instance type, will affect the cost of deployment. For cost estimates, see the pricing pages for each AWS service you will be using. Prices are subject to change.
Tip After you deploy the Quick Start, we recommend that you enable the AWS Cost and Usage Report to track costs associated with the Quick Start. This report delivers billing metrics to an Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) bucket in your account. It provides cost estimates based on usage throughout each month, and finalizes the data at the end of the month. For more information about the report, see the AWS documentation.
This Quick Start uses a Bring Your Own License (BYOL) model for Enterprise Server. How you license Enterprise Server for use with this Quick Start depends on the type of license you have:
- If you're an existing user of Enterprise Server, you can use one of your existing licenses.
- If you're not an existing user of Enterprise Server, you can request a trial license from Micro Focus.
This trial license for Enterprise Server on AWS is only intended to be used for a maximum of 90 days, and isn't intended for production use. After the trial period, you're responsible for acquiring the necessary licenses directly from Micro Focus to continue using Enterprise Server on AWS.