As part of the AWS Free Tier, the Amazon RDS Free Tier helps new AWS customers get started with a managed database service in the cloud for free. You can use the Amazon RDS Free Tier to develop new applications, test existing applications, or simply gain hands-on experience with Amazon RDS. Each calendar month, the free tier will allow you to use the Amazon RDS resources listed below for free.
- 750 hours of Amazon RDS Single-AZ db.t2.micro Instance usage running MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Oracle BYOL or SQL Server (running SQL Server Express Edition) – enough hours to run a DB Instance continuously each month
- Oracle BYOL db.t3.micro Single-AZ Instance usage is also included as part of the Amazon RDS free tier. If running both a db.t2.micro Single-AZ Instance and a db.t3.micro Single-AZ Instance on Oracle BYOL, usage is aggregated across Instance classes.
- 20 GB of General Purpose (SSD) DB Storage*
- 20 GB of backup storage for your automated database backups and any user-initiated DB Snapshots*
* Backup storage is free up to 20 GB or the size of your DB storage, whichever is less, and requires you to have at least one DB instance running in your account. If you exceed these limits, or if you terminate all DB instances in your account, backup storage will be charged at standard RDS rates.
In addition to these services, the AWS Management Console is available at no additional charge to help you build and manage your DB Instances on Amazon RDS.
The AWS Free Tier is available to you for 12 months starting with the date on which you create your AWS account. When your free usage expires or if your application use exceeds the free usage tiers, you simply pay standard, pay-as-you-go service rates (see Amazon RDS pricing page for full pricing details). Restrictions apply; see offer terms for more details. More information is also available in the Free Tier section of the Amazon RDS FAQ document.
The free usage tier applies across all AWS Regions except GovCloud (US) and Asia Pacific (Osaka) Local. Your usage is calculated each month across all regions and automatically applied to your bill. For example, you will receive 750 Micro DB Instance hours for free across all of the Regions, not 750 hours per Region. Note that free usage does not accumulate from one billing period to the next.
The Amazon RDS free tier applies to Amazon RDS for MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Oracle (under the Bring-Your-Own-License licensing model) and SQL Server (running SQL Server Express Edition).
Deploying and managing databases is one of the most complex, time-consuming, and expensive activities in IT. Amazon RDS removes this complexity by automating many of the undifferentiated but time-consuming and critical administrative tasks such as hardware provisioning, software installation and patching, storage management, and backups for disaster recovery. This enables developers and database administrators to free up time to focus on innovation. As your application needs grow, you can scale the compute capacity easily.
The service handles time-consuming database management tasks so you can pursue higher value application development. If you are managing your own database deployments today, you can move to Amazon RDS and gain the following benefits:
|Point-and-click deployment in minutes with pre-configured parameters|
|Scale compute resources with a few clicks or single API call|
|Automated backups and disaster recovery|
|Managed database snapshots for backup or database cloning|
|Access to hardware and complete environment control|
|Automatic software patching|
|Compatibility with existing applications and tools|
|Metrics on CPU, disk and memory utilization provided in a dashboard at no additional cost|
- Data Durability and Disaster Recovery – Turned on by default, the automated backup feature of Amazon RDS enables point-in-time recovery for your DB Instance. Amazon RDS will back up your database and transaction logs and store both for a user-specified retention period. This allows you to restore your DB Instance to any second during your retention period, up to the last five minutes. Your automatic backup retention period can be configured to up to 35 days.
- Manageability – Amazon RDS automatically patches your OS software and enables you to automatically upgrade your database software. Additionally, Amazon RDS provides full visibility into your CPU, disk and memory utilization via the AWS Management Console.
- Scalability – Using a few clicks on the AWS Management Console, you can simply scale up the instance type from the smallest to the largest or anything in between. NOTE: Using the scale compute feature will consume capacity beyond the free tier usage capacity. You will incur standard, pay-as-you-go rates for this additional capacity.