What does this AWS Solution do?
This AWS Solution provides operational technology (OT) managers with secure machine and industrial equipment connectivity to the AWS Cloud. This solution automatically deploys and configures AWS IoT Greengrass and provides integration with AWS IoT SiteWise. You can then publish machine and industrial asset telemetry data to AWS IoT SiteWise and Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), populating an industrial data lake with machine telemetry to support insights through visualization, analytics, and machine learning. This solution supports both the OPC Data Access (OPC-DA) and OPC Unified Architecture (OPC-UA) protocols, and supports OSIsoft PI through the OSIsoft PI Web API.
AWS Solution overview
The diagram below presents the architecture that you can automatically deploy using this solution's implementation guide and accompanying AWS CloudFormation template.
Machine to Cloud Connectivity Framework architecture
The AWS CloudFormation template deploys the following infrastructure:
- An Amazon CloudFront user interface that deploys into an Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) bucket configured for web hosting.
- An Amazon API Gateway API provides the user interface for client requests.
- An Amazon Cognito user pool authenticates the API requests.
- AWS Lambda functions power the user interface, as well as the configuration and deployment mechanism for AWS IoT Greengrass and AWS IoT SiteWise gateway resources. These Lambda functions send messages to the m2c2/job/<connectionName> AWS IoT topic (AWS IoT Core), then AWS IoT Greengrass subscribes to the messages. Amazon DynamoDB tables store the connection metadata.
- An AWS IoT SiteWise gateway configuration for any OPC UA data sources.
- An Amazon Kinesis Data Streams data stream, Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose, and an Amazon S3 bucket to store telemetry data.
- AWS IoT Greengrass is installed and used on an on-premises industrial gateway to run protocol connector AWS IoT Greengrass components to connect and read telemetry data from your OPC UA, OPC DA, and OSIsoft PI Web API servers.
- AWS IoT Greengrass components are deployed onto AWS IoT Greengrass Core software on the industrial gateway to connect to the servers and to send the data to the configured destination(s).
- AWS IoT Greengrass components that collect the telemetry data write to AWS IoT Greengrass stream manager streams. The publisher AWS IoT Greengrass components read from the streams.
- Publisher AWS IoT Greengrass components forward the data to the appropriate endpoint.
Note: To subscribe to RSS updates, you must have an RSS plug-in enabled for the browser you are using.
Browse our library of AWS Solutions Implementations to get answers to common architectural problems.
Find AWS certified consulting and technology partners to help you get started.
Browse our portfolio of Consulting Offers to get AWS-vetted help with solution deployment.