Posted On: May 30, 2019
Amazon MSK, an AWS streaming data service that manages Apache Kafka’s (Kafka) infrastructure and operations is now generally available. Amazon MSK makes it easy for developers and DevOps managers to build and run production applications on Kafka without needing significant Kafka and Apache ZooKeeper operational expertise.
With just a few clicks customers can create fully managed, highly available, and secure Kafka clusters in minutes that are natively integrated with AWS services and backed by a 99.9% availability SLA. Visit the Amazon MSK webpage to learn more, or visit the getting started guide to create your first cluster.
Amazon MSK launched in an open preview at re:Invent 2018 in the US East (N. Virginia) region, supporting Kafka version 1.1.0. Since, Amazon MSK released availability in 9 additional AWS regions, including US East (Ohio), US West (Oregon), EU (Ireland), EU (London), EU (Frankfurt), EU (Paris), AP (Tokyo), AP (Singapore), and AP (Sydney), and plans to roll out support in additional AWS regions over the coming months.
In addition to expanding AWS region support, Amazon MSK has added the following features for new MSK clusters:
- Encryption in-transit via TLS between clients and brokers and between brokers
- Mutual TLS authentication using AWS ACM private certificate authorities
- Defining custom, cluster-wide configurations for topics and brokers
- Cluster-wide storage scaling
- Cluster tagging and tag based IAM policy application
- Amazon MSK is a HIPAA Eligible Service
- 99.9% availability SLA
- Integration with AWS CloudTrail for Amazon MSK API logging
- Support for Apache Kafka version 2.1.0
- AWS CloudFormation support to be announced in June 2019