What does this AWS Solutions Implementation do?
This solution automates the process of setting up an Amazon CloudWatch dashboard so that you can instantly monitor key performance metrics and logs for your Apache web servers running on AWS. This solution provides a pre-configured dashboard so you can analyze web traffic patterns, determine whether to scale servers up or out, and detect bottlenecks and other performance problems for your Apache workloads.
This solution provides a pre-configured Amazon CloudWatch dashboard for your Apache workload.
This solution uses a tagging mechanism so that you can add or remove instances from your dashboard.
Use Amazon CloudWatch agent configuration files to configure your EC2 instances running
AWS Solutions Implementation overview
The diagram below presents the architecture you can automatically deploy using the solution's implementation guide and accompanying AWS CloudFormation template.
Amazon CloudWatch Monitoring Framework Solutions Implementation architecture
The architecture can be broken down into two workflows: User Interaction and Dashboard Management
User Interaction Workflow:
The AWS CloudFormation template deploys the Amazon CloudWatch Events rule, AWS Lambda function and AWS Systems Manager Parameter Store necessary to capture Apache instances in your account.
1. Users update Tag on their instances with the tagging schema provided as input during the stack deployment
2. The CloudWatch Events rule invokes the tagHandler Lambda function on cron schedule. The Lambda function primarily performs two tasks:
- It uses the ec2 describe-tags API call to get instances with the desired tag value (same as step 1).
- It compares the fetched instance list with the SSM Parameter Store instance list and updates the parameter as needed.
Dashboard Management Workflow:
The AWS CloudFormation template deploys the Amazon CloudWatch Events rule and
AWS Lambda function necessary to configure workload specific Amazon CloudWatch dashboard in your account.
3. When the SSM Parameter Store gets updated, the event is captured using CloudWatch Events rule to invoke the dashboardHandler Lambda function.
4. The dashboardHandler Lambda function updates the deployed dashboard
widgets with logs and metrics for the updated instance list.
Browse our library of AWS Solutions Implementations to get answers to common architectural problems.
Find AWS certified consulting and technology partners to help you get started.
Browse our portfolio of Consulting Offers to get AWS-vetted help with solution deployment.