What does this AWS Solutions Implementation do?
This solution implementation provides factory floor managers with secure factory equipment connectivity to the AWS Cloud. It provides a framework to ingest telemetry from factory equipment into your AWS account, allowing you to focus on conducting analysis of your data rather than managing the underlying connectivity infrastructure. This solution supports robust data ingestion using either the OPC Data Access (OPC DA) protocol or the CC-Link Partner Association (CLPA) Seamless Messaging Protocol (SLMP).
AWS Solutions Implementation overview
The diagram below presents the architecture you can automatically deploy using this solution's implementation guide and accompanying AWS CloudFormation template.
Machine to Cloud Connectivity Framework architecture
When deploying the AWS CloudFormation template using the default parameters, AWS IoT Greengrass v1.0, AWS Lambda functions, Amazon Kinesis Data Streams, Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose, and AWS IoT Core are configured and activated in your AWS environment. These AWS services allow your factory equipment to securely connect and interact with cloud applications and other equipment.
- You publish a job definition with the deploy control on an IoT topic.
- A job defines the details around the telemetry data being collected, including the protocol the source machine is using, the data collection-specific tags, and the poll frequency for the data collection.
- The deploy control communicates with the system when you want to create a new job.
- The message is routed to AWS IoT Core where an IoT rule forwards it to the job builder Lambda function.
- The job builder Lambda function receives the request, creates a new machine connector Lambda function, writes the job data to Amazon DynamoDB and, depending on the protocol used, Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3). The Greengrass group is also updated with the necessary settings.
- The Greengrass group is deployed to your industrial gateway, along with the new machine connector Lambda function.
- The machine connector Lambda function establishes a connection to your industrial device, as configured in the job definition.
- Once the connection is established, the machine connector Lambda function receives the telemetry data from your device and sends that data to a Kinesis data stream and/or an IoT topic.
- In the default configuration, when the data is sent to the data stream, a Kinesis Data Firehose delivery stream takes that data, batches the data, and stores it in Amazon S3.
Machine to Cloud Connectivity Framework
Last updated: 03/2021
Estimated deployment time: 5 min
Note: To subscribe to RSS updates, you must have an RSS plug-in enabled for the browser you are using.
Browse our library of AWS Solutions Implementations to get answers to common architectural problems.
Find AWS certified consulting and technology partners to help you get started.
Browse our portfolio of Consulting Offers to get AWS-vetted help with solution deployment.