Getting Started with AWS
Build an Android Application
Create a simple Android application using AWS Amplify
Introduction: Build an Android Application
Follow step-by-step instructions to build your first Android application.
In this tutorial, you will create a simple Android application using AWS Amplify, a set of tools and serverless services in the cloud. In the first module, you’ll build a simple Android application. Through the remaining modules, you will initialize a local app using the Amplify Command Line Interface (Amplify CLI), add user authentication, add a GraphQL API and a database to store your data, and update your app to store images.
What You Will Learn
This tutorial will walk you through the steps to create a simple Android application discussed above. You will learn to:
- Manage serverless cloud backend from the command line
- Add auth to your app to enable sign-in and sign-out
- Add a GraphQL API, database, and storage solution
- Share your backend between multiple projects.
Time to Complete
Cost to Complete
Free Tier eligible
- Android Studio 4.x or more recent
- an AWS Account* with at least these permissions (an Administrator role or root account will also work, but we recommend a least-privileges approach).
- Node.js 10 or more recent
- AWS Command Line Interface AWS CLI 2.0.x or more recent.
[*]Accounts created within the past 24 hours might not yet have access to the services required for this tutorial.
This tutorial is divided into five short modules. You must complete each module in order, before moving on to the next one.
- Create an Android App (10 minutes): Create an Android app and test it in the Android simulator
- Initialize a Local App (10 minutes): Initialize a local app using AWS Amplify.
- Add Authentication (10 minutes): Add auth to your application.
- Add a GraphQL API and Database (20 minutes): Create a GraphQL API.
- Add the Ability to Store Images (10 minutes): Add storage to your app.
You will be building this Android application using the Terminal and Google's Android Studio IDE.