AWS Trademark Guidelines & License Terms
Last Updated: May 23, 2023
1. Introduction. The AWS Marks are some of our most valuable assets and these guidelines are intended to preserve the goodwill attached to them. These AWS Trademark Guidelines apply to your use of the AWS Marks pursuant to Section 3 below and/or to any agreement entered into between Amazon Web Services, Inc. or its affiliates (“AWS,” “we,” “us” or “our”) and you (“you” or “your”) that references these AWS Trademark Guidelines. The Definitions in Section 2 and License in Section 3 will apply unless you have entered into a written agreement with AWS that contains separate license terms (“Written Agreement”), in which case the terms of your specific Written Agreement will control over these general terms.
2. Definitions. “AWS Marks” means our trademarks, service marks, service or trade names, logos, product names, or designations, including, but not limited to: (i) the AWS and Smile Logo; (ii) the Powered by AWS Logo in the forms shown below and in the AWS Co-Marketing Tools; (iii) the Partner Logo and the Program Marks described in Section 3; and (iv) Amazon Web Services, AWS, and the names of AWS products, services, programs, and initiatives (see a non-exhaustive list in Section 19).
“Licensor” means Amazon Web Services EMEA SARL (if the geographic location associated with your AWS or program account or your Written Agreement is any country within Europe, the Middle East, or Africa (“EMEA”)) or Amazon Web Services, Inc. (if the geographic location associated with your AWS or program account or your Written Agreement is any country outside of EMEA).
(a) AWS Customers. Provided that you are an AWS customer in good standing with a current and valid account for use of the Services (as defined in the AWS Customer Agreement or other agreement with us governing your use of the Services (the “Agreement”)) and that you comply at all times with the Agreement, Licensor grants you a non-exclusive, royalty-free, and revocable license to use the Powered by AWS Logo solely to (i) identify Your Content (as defined in the Agreement) as using the Services; or (ii) identify software tools or applications that you create and distribute that are intended for use in connection with the Services. Your license to use the Powered by AWS Logo will automatically terminate and you must immediately stop using the logo if at any time (i) the Agreement is terminated or you otherwise cease to be an AWS customer in good standing; or (ii) Your Content no longer uses any of the Services, or your software cannot be used with any of the Services, as applicable.
(b) AWS Partners. Provided that you are a participant (“AWS Partner”) in the AWS Partner Network Program (“APN Program”) and that you comply at all times with the AWS Partner Network Terms and Conditions (“APN Terms”), Licensor grants you a non-exclusive, royalty-free, and revocable license to (i) reproduce, display, and distribute the Program Content (as defined in the APN Terms) (other than the Partner Logo (as defined in the APN Terms)) solely for the purpose of marketing our Services to your customers, and (ii) if you are eligible as described on the APN Site (as defined in the APN Terms), display the current version of the Partner Logo on your website and in your own offline materials in accordance with the AWS Marks for APN Guidelines and the APN Program marketing tools available under the APN Program, solely to identify your participation in the APN Program. You may not modify, alter, or otherwise create derivative works of any Program Content unless expressly permitted by us in writing. Your license to use the Program Content will automatically terminate and you must immediately stop using the Program Content if at any time you cease to be an AWS Partner.
Provided that you have entered into an AWS Solution Provider Addendum, AWS Distributor Addendum, or AWS Distribution Seller Addendum (each, an “Addendum”) with us, Licensor also grants you a non-exclusive, royalty-free, and revocable license during the term of the Addendum to use the AWS Marks in and on the Advertising Materials (as defined in the Addendum), and subject to the terms of the Addendum, including applicable Solution Provider Program Terms, Distributor Program Terms, or Distribution Seller Program Terms. We may, by giving you notice, revoke (in whole or in part) the foregoing license immediately upon any non-compliance with the Addendum. You may transfer the Advertising Materials to any agent selling Authorized Services (as defined in the Addendum) on your behalf for such agent’s use in the resale of Authorized Services. You will ensure the first or most prominent reference to or placement of the AWS Marks is accompanied by the notice below (on the same page and in legible font). You will use the following notice anywhere you are advertising your company or describing your services and are specifically featuring us:
“Amazon Web Services resold by [[SOLUTION PROVIDER / DISTRIBUTOR / DISTRIBUTION SELLER] NAME], an authorized [solution provider / distributor / distribution seller] of Amazon Web Services. Amazon Web Services, AWS, and the Powered by AWS logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”
Upon termination or expiration of the Addendum or other revocation, your license to use the AWS Marks in and on the Advertising Materials is terminated and you must immediately stop (and ensure all agents immediately stop) using the Advertising Materials.
(c) AWS Strategic Collaboration Agreement. Provided that you have entered into a Strategic Collaboration Agreement (the “SCA”) with us and that you comply at all times with the SCA, unless otherwise specified in the SCA, Licensor grants you a non-exclusive, royalty free, and revocable license during the Term (as defined in the SCA) to use the AWS Marks in and on AWS-approved Collateral (as defined in the SCA) in furtherance of Initiatives (as defined in the SCA). Upon termination or expiration of the SCA, your license to use the AWS Marks is terminated and you must immediately stop using the AWS Marks.
(d) Limitations. The licenses in this Section 3 are conditioned on your compliance with: (i) the most up-to-date versions of these AWS Trademark Guidelines and any relevant terms and conditions, agreements, or addendums as described in Section 3; and (ii) any other terms, conditions, or policies governing use of the AWS Marks that we may issue. Licensor may revoke the foregoing license immediately upon notice to you of any non-compliance. Except as described in Section 3(b), you may not transfer, assign or sublicense your license to use the AWS Marks or Program Content. Any use of the AWS Marks or Program Content outside the scope of the foregoing license requires Licensor’s prior written permission. You may not use the Powered by AWS Logo in China.
WITHOUT LIMITATION OF ANY PROVISION IN THE AGREEMENT OR ANY OTHER RELEVANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS, AGREEMENTS, OR ADDENDUMS AS DESCRIBED IN SECTION 3, YOUR USE OF THE AWS MARKS IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND WE HAVE NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY IN CONNECTION YOUR USE.
4. Modification and Termination. Without prior notice to you and at our sole discretion, we may modify these AWS Trademark Guidelines and modify or terminate your license to use the AWS Marks, at any time, for any reason. We reserve the right to take any actions including, without limitation, legal proceedings, against any use of the AWS Marks that does not comply with the terms of the Agreement, these AWS Trademark Guidelines, or any other relevant terms and conditions, agreements, or addendums as described in Section 3.
5. No Affiliation or Endorsement. You will not misrepresent or embellish the relationship between you and AWS. You will not display the AWS Marks in any manner that implies (i) that AWS supports, sponsors, endorses, or contributes to your business endeavors; (ii) that Your Content, website, product or service, has been authored or edited by us, or represents our views or opinions; or (iii) any relationship or affiliation between you and AWS except as expressly permitted by the relevant terms and conditions, agreements, or addendums as described in Section 3, or as otherwise expressly permitted by us in writing.
6. Quality Control; No Disparagement or Misleading Use. You may use the AWS Marks only in a manner designed to maintain the highest standard, quality, and reputation that is associated with the AWS Marks. You will not use the AWS Marks to disparage us or our products or services or display the AWS Marks in any manner that is misleading, unfair, defamatory, infringing, libelous, disparaging, obscene, or otherwise objectionable as determined by us in our sole discretion. If AWS determines in its sole discretion that your use of the AWS Marks does not comply with these Guidelines, AWS may either (i) terminate pursuant to Section 4 or (ii) notify you of such determination and you will promptly make any requested changes.
7. No Dominant Display; AWS Mark Differentiation. You may not display any AWS Mark as the largest or most prominent trademark in any materials associated with Your Content, software tool, or other software application. When using any AWS Mark (other than the Powered by AWS Logo, for which the formatting requirements are set forth in Section 8, or in a URL as described in Section 9), distinguish the AWS Mark from the name of Your Content and/or other surrounding text, such as by capitalizing the first letter of or the entire AWS Mark, italicizing the entire AWS Mark, or using a different style or color of font for the AWS Mark.
8. Powered by AWS Logo Formatting Requirements.
(a) No Modification. We will make the Powered by AWS Logo image available to you from the AWS Co-Marketing Tools. You may not remove, distort or modify any element of the Powered by AWS Logo; however, you may convert the Powered by AWS Logo file format itself (or the file format of any other logo we may make available to you), for ease of use.
(b) Color. The Powered by AWS Logo may be represented in the following formats: FULL COLOR (i) light backgrounds—squid ink type with Amazon Orange smile; (ii) dark backgrounds— white type with Amazon Orange smile; or for single-color applications; SINGLE COLOR (iii) light backgrounds—Squid Ink type with Squid Ink smile (preferred); GRAYSCALE (iv) light backgrounds—Black type with Black smile; (v) dark backgrounds— white type with white smile. No alternate color representation or combination will be acceptable.
When in FULL COLOR:
The graphic element (smile) must be in Amazon Orange
PMS: COATED 1375 C
UNCOATED 137 U
The type must be in Squid Ink
PMS: COATED 432 C
When in SINGLE COLOR:
Light Backgrounds: The graphic element (smile) and type must be in Squid Ink
PMS: COATED 432 C
When in GRAYSCALE:
Light Backgrounds: The graphic element (smile) and type must be in Black
Dark Backgrounds: The graphic element (smile) and type must be in White
(c) Spacing. The Powered by AWS Logo must appear by itself in a clearly visible location, with reasonable spacing (at least the height of the Powered by AWS Logo) between each side of the logo and other graphic or textual elements.
(d) Size. The Powered by AWS Logo, as shown in Section 2, must be displayed at a sufficient size to ensure that the type is reasonably legible.
9. Permissible Uses of the AWS Marks. Except as permitted in Section 3 and as otherwise expressly permitted by us in writing, you may only use the AWS Marks: (i) in a relational phrase using “for” or one of the equivalent naming conventions listed below; or (ii) to the right of the top-level domain name (e.g., ”.com”, ”.net”, ”.uk”) in a URL.
- Relational Phrases.
Example of Permissible Use:
[Your Application] for EC2
You may replace “for” in this example with any of the following, so long as the term you use is accurate when used with the AWS Marks: “for use with”; “with”; “compatible with”; “works with”; “powered by”; “built on”; “built with”; “developed on”; “developed with.”
You may replace “EC2” in this example with any of the AWS Marks, so long as your use of the AWS Marks is accurate.
Example of Permissible Use:
You may replace “aws” in this example with any of the AWS Marks, so long as your usage of the AWS Marks is accurate.
10. Hyperlinking. You may link AWS Marks to http://aws.amazon.com or to an AWS detail page for a Service used by Your Content. If you link to a Service detail page, you must link to the primary URL for the Service (e.g., the primary URL for Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is http://aws.amazon.com/ec2). You may open the URL in a new browser window. You may not link the AWS Marks to any other website. You may not frame or mirror any of our website pages.
11. No Combination. You may not hyphenate, combine or abbreviate the AWS Marks. You may not incorporate the AWS Marks into the names of your organization, products, or services, or into your trademarks or logos. This prohibition includes the use of the AWS Marks in a URL to the left of the top-level domain name. For example, domains and subdomains such as “alexaaa.mydomain.com”, “mymechanicalturk.net” or “EC2plus2.com” are expressly prohibited.
12. Paid Search Ads. AWS owns and restricts trademark use by third parties on all search engines and will authorize only AWS Partners that have reached validated stage in any of the AWS Partner Paths to use AWS Marks in paid search ads. Contact your APN Partner Development Manager to request authorization.
13. Attribution. Include the following statement in any materials that include the AWS Marks: “Amazon Web Services, AWS, the Powered by AWS logo, [and name any other AWS Marks used in such materials] are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates."
14. Trade Dress. You will not imitate the trade dress or “look and feel” of any of our websites or website pages, including without limitation, the branding, color combinations, fonts, graphic designs, product icons, or other elements associated with us.
15. Compliance with Law; Appropriate Activities. You will not use the AWS Marks in any manner that violates any law or regulation. Without limiting the foregoing, or any provision in the Agreement, you may not display any AWS Mark on your website if your website contains or displays adult content or promotes illegal activities, gambling, or the sale of tobacco or alcohol to persons under the age of twenty-one.
16. Reservation of Rights. Except for the license specified in Section 3, nothing in the Agreement, these AWS Trademark Guidelines, or any other relevant terms and conditions, agreements, or addendums as described in Section 3 grants or may be deemed to grant you any right, license, title or interest in or to any AWS Mark or any of our or our affiliates’ other trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos, product names, service names, legends, other designations, or abbreviations of any of the foregoing, or any of our or our affiliates’ copyright, patent, or other intellectual property rights. We retain any and all intellectual property and other proprietary rights in and to the AWS Marks. All use by you of the AWS Marks, including any goodwill associated therewith, will inure to the benefit of AWS.
17. No Challenges. You will not, at any time, challenge or encourage, assist, or otherwise induce third parties to challenge the AWS Marks (except to the extent such restriction is prohibited by law) or our registration of the AWS Marks. You will not attempt to register any trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos, product names, service names, legends, domain names, other designations, or other distinctive brand features that are confusingly similar in any way to the AWS Marks.
18. Contact Information. If you have questions regarding your obligations under these AWS Trademark Guidelines or questions about any AWS Mark, please contact email@example.com or write to us at: Amazon.com, Inc., Attention: Trademarks, PO Box 81226, Seattle, WA 98108-1226.
19. AWS Marks.
Amazon Web Services
Amazon Devops Guru
Amazon Direct Connect
Amazon Elastic Beanstalk
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)
Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS)
Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk)
Amazon Nimble Studio
Amazon Quantum Ledger Database (QLDB)
Amazon Redshift Spectrum
Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS)
Amazon Route 53
Amazon SageMaker Clarify
Amazon SageMaker Edge
Amazon SageMaker JumpStart
Amazon SageMaker Neo
Amazon Simple Email Service (SES)
Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS)
Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS)
Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3)
Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC)
Amazon VPC Lattice
AWS Control Tower
AWS Direct Connect
AWS Elemental MediaConnect
AWS Elemental MediaConvert
AWS Elemental MediaLive
AWS Elemental MediaPackage
AWS Elemental MediaStore
AWS Elemental MediaTailor
AWS Fusion Nebula
AWS Impact Computing
AWS IoT Edukit
AWS IoT Fleetwise
AWS IoT GreenGrass
AWS IoT RoboRunner
AWS IoT SiteWise
AWS Is How
AWS Lambda SnapStart
AWS Nitro Enclaves
AWS Nitro System
AWS SimSpace Weaver
AWS Think Big Space
AWS Transformation Day
Graph Cache Thrash
Intersect by AWS
Powered by AWS