Designed for network architects and engineers, this video looks at the options and steps necessary to prepare your on-premises location and get started with AWS Direct Connect with confidence.
(This video is an excerpt from the highly rated online training, AWS Network Connectivity Options.)
Connect directly at an AWS Direct Connect Location
Connect directly to an AWS device from your router at an AWS Direct Connect location using 1 Gbps, 10 Gbps, or 100 Gbps connection. (Check this page to see if your preferred location supports 10 and 100 Gbps connections.)
Connect from your premises
Work with a partner in the AWS Partner Network (APN) or a network provider that will help you connect a router from your data center, office, or colocation environment to an AWS Direct Connect location. The network provider does not have to be a member of the APN to connect you.
Connection hosted by an AWS Direct Connect Partner
Once you have determined that your connectivity scenario is either 'Present at AWS Direct Connect location' or 'Connect from your premises', you simply:
- Decide on an AWS Direct Connect location, how many connections you would like to use, and the port size. Multiple ports can be used simultaneously for increased bandwidth or redundancy.
- Use the AWS Management Console to create your connection request(s).
- Once your request is confirmed, you will be able to download your Letter of Authorization – Connecting Facility Assignment (LOA-CFA) from the AWS Management Console and request a cross-connect to AWS Direct Connect.
- If you are connecting from your premises, you can work with an APN Partner supporting Direct Connect or a network carrier of your choice.
- Provide the LOA-CFA to an APN Partner or your service provider who will establish the connection on your behalf.
- Once the connection is up, use the AWS Management Console to configure one or more virtual interfaces to establish network connectivity.
Things to remember:
- AWS does not establish cross-connects on your behalf. If you worked with an AWS Direct Connect partner to establish a dedicated physical connection to a AWS Direct Connect location you need to provide the Letter of Authorization–Connecting Facility Assignment (LOA-CFA) to that partner to act on your behalf.
- AWS Direct Connect partners have passed additional validation from the AWS Service Delivery Program and are ready to help you access AWS Direct Connect.
- If you engaged a non-partner network provider you will either need them to contract with the facilities provider so that they can act on your behalf, or you will need to contract directly with the facilities provider to request the cross-connect.
- If you already have equipment located in the AWS Direct Connect location, you will need to contact the facilities provider to complete the cross-connect. AWS equipment within an AWS Direct Connect location is located within an AWS-exclusive cage. Connections within the facility are made using a cross-connect. No non-AWS equipment is allowed within the AWS cage as a security measure.
- Ports used to connect to AWS GovCloud (US) are ordered using the AWS GovCloud (US) management console. Details on how to get started in the AWS GovCloud (US) Region can be found here.