Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Intel share a passion for delivering constant innovation and value to enterprise IT organizations.
The latest Intel® Xeon® processors are utilized by AWS, providing customers with high performance and value, and the ability to choose Amazon EC2 instance types that best meet their performance needs for compute intensive, memory intensive, or IOPS intensive applications.
Intel also makes it easy for AWS customers to launch Intel software in the AWS Cloud, such as the Intel Lustre HPC file system & McAfee SaaS Endpoint Protection, by making them available on AWS Marketplace.
Amazon's C3 Cluster Compute Instance Type ranks 64th in Top 500 Supercomputers
AWS created the cluster with Intel Xeon 2.8GHz processors with 26,496 cores and ran at 484.2 TFlop/s.
"The organizations in the study selected AWS to develop, deploy, and manage their applications primarily because AWS offered the best scalability, time to market and price."
"Thanks to high-performance computing in the Amazon Web Services cloud, it's incredibly simple and cost-effective to scale compute resources."
—Scott Becker, VP of Enterprise Products, Schrödinger
The latest Intel Xeon processors are utilized, providing customers with high performance and value, and the ability to choose Amazon EC2 instance types that best meet their performance needs for compute intensive, memory intensive, or IOPS intensive applications.
Amazon EC2 C4 instances include Intel’s latest 22nm Haswell microarchitecture with custom Intel® Xeon® v3 processors. Benefits of Xeon® v3 processors include:
- Haswell microarchitecture has better branch prediction; efficient at prefetching instructions and data; along with other improvements that can boost existing applications’ performance by 30% or more
- P state and C state control provides the ability to individually tune each cores performance and sleep states to improve application performance
- Intel® AVX2.0 instructions can double the floating-point performance for compute-intensive workloads over Intel® AVX, and provides additional instructions useful for compression and encryption
Several other Amazon EC2 instance types include Advanced Intel features offered on Intel Xeon E5 processors in select Amazon EC2 instance types include:. Benefits of Intel Xeon E5 processors include:
- Intel AES-NI – Intel processors that support Intel Advanced Encryption Standard – New Instructions allow you to enable encryption for enhanced data security without paying a performance penalty.
- Intel AVX – With Intel Advanced Vector Extensions, get dramatically better performance for highly parallel HPC workloads such as life science engineering, data mining, financial analysis, or other technical computing applications. AVX also enhances image, video, and audio processing.
- Intel Turbo Boost Technology – Get a clock rate boost of compute speed, accelerating performance for peak loads. Appropriate for traditional non-parallel workloads.
|AWS Instance Type
||Compute Optimized C4||Memory Optimized
||Intel® Xeon® E5-2666 v3
||Intel® Xeon® E5-2670 v2
||Intel® Xeon® E5-2670 v2||Intel® Xeon® E5-2670 v2||Intel® Xeon® family||Intel® Xeon® E5-2670
||Intel® Xeon® family|
|Intel® process technology
||22nm Ivy Bridge||22nm Ivy Bridge||22nm Ivy Bridge||32nm Sandy Bridge|
|Intel® AVX||AVX 2.0
|Intel® Turbo Boost
||EBS-OPT by default
Customers run High Performance Computing (HPC) workloads on Amazon EC2 to efficiently run simulations, analyze big data, manage I/O-intensive, transactional databases, run complex media rendering applications, and run enterprise software apps at scale. AWS customers of all sizes leverage Intel technology to run a large range of workloads from scientific analysis to mission-critical enterprise apps in test & development and production environments. AWS customers around the world have benefited from game-changing cost advantages by using AWS managed cloud services running on Intel Xeon processors, such as Amazon Redshift.
The opportunities exist for data to transform businesses in fields as diverse as travel, genomics, e-commerce and space exploration. They are created by the on-demand availability of the high performance Intel Xeon E5 processor family in the Amazon Web Services cloud.
AWS Marketplace is an online store that provides an easy way for developers and IT professionals to discover and use software to run in the AWS Cloud. You can find a selection of HPC software ready to run in your cluster, such as the Intel Lustre HPC file system, with just a few clicks directly from the AWS Marketplace.