Gelato Case Study
Since 2007, Gelato has been disrupting the printing world by making commercial-quality printing accessible to everyone, everywhere. Its global, cloud-based print platform connects consumers and businesses with high-end digital print facilities around the world. It serves different customer segments through its various sites—including www.gelatoglobe.com, which offers local and sustainable printing to global companies, and www.optimalprint.com, an online store for personalized cards aimed at families.
By running our infrastructure on AWS, we've been able to accelerate our annual growth and support more than two million customers while keeping our costs basically flat."
Chief Technology Officer, Gelato
- Build a redundant, reliable infrastructure in the cloud to ensure excellent service levels to customers.
- Meet the capacity needs of a rapidly growing global client base, and cope with seasonal peaks in demand of up to four times base-level load.
- Establish a cost-effective, easy-to-maintain architecture to keep operations lean.
Why Amazon Web Services
- Moved its platform from a collocated data center to Amazon Web Service (AWS), using Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) and Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2). Runs across multiple Availability Zones and sits within an Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC).
- Uses the Amazon CloudFront content delivery network and Amazon Route 53 domain name service.
- Uses Amazon EC2 Spot instances to keep costs low, and the Amazon EC2 Container Service (Amazon ECS) to enable a microservices architecture.
- Cost-effective scale and elasticity: With its customer base continuing to expand, Gelato finds it can scale easily. Furthermore, during high-demand periods such as Christmas, the team can quickly provision more than 100 server instances and process 100 TB of data.
- Lean ops: Gelato can manage its AWS environment with just one dedicated systems engineer and a DevOps culture. With a traditional infrastructure, it would require up to three additional system administrators to provision the level of services that it currently runs in the cloud.
- Support for growth: Gelato can maintain its growth through continual, rapid innovation that allows it to keep its services at the cutting edge of the market.
Since 2007, Gelato has been disrupting the printing world by making commercial-quality printing accessible to everyone, everywhere.
AWS Services Used
Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) is an object storage service that offers industry-leading scalability, data availability, security, and performance.
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a web service that provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud.
Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC) lets you provision a logically isolated section of the AWS Cloud where you can launch AWS resources in a virtual network that you define.
Amazon CloudFront is a fast content delivery network (CDN) service that securely delivers data, videos, applications, and APIs to customers globally.
Companies of all sizes across all industries are transforming their businesses every day using AWS. Contact our experts and start your own AWS Cloud journey today.