Localytics Case Study
Localytics is a web and mobile app analytics and engagement company, with major brands such as ESPN, eBay, Fox, Salesforce, RueLaLa and the New York Times using its marketing and analytics tools to understand how apps are performing and to engage with new and existing customers. The Boston-based company’s software is used in more than 37,000 apps on more than three billion devices worldwide.
With AWS Lambda, our various engineering teams can tap into a parallel data stream to create microservices independently from the main analytics application. It helps us get new services to our customers faster. For a startup, faster time to market is key.”
Director of Engineering, Localytics
- Supports pipeline with billions of data points uploaded every day from different mobile applications running Localytics analytics software.
- Engineering team needed to access subsets of data for creating new services, but this led to additional capacity planning, utilization monitoring, and infrastructure management.
- Platform team wanted to enable self-service for engineering teams.
Why Amazon Web Services
- Uses AWS to send about 100 billion data points monthly through Elastic Load Balancing to Amazon Simple Queue Service, then to Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud, and finally into an Amazon Kinesis stream.
- For each new feature of the marketing software, a new microservice using AWS Lambda is created to access the Amazon Kinesis data stream. Each microservice can access the data stream in parallel with others.
Localytics’ Original Analytics-Processing Service
Localytics’ Analytics-Processing Service Using AWS Lambda and Amazon Kinesis
- Decouples product engineering efforts from the platform analytics pipeline, enabling creation of new microservices to access data stream without the need to be bundled with the main analytics application.
- Eliminates the need to provision and manage infrastructure to run each microservice .
- Lambda automatically scales up and down with load, processing tens of billions of data points monthly.
- Speeds time to market for new customer services, since each feature is a new microservice that can run and scale independently of every other microservice.
Localytics is a web and mobile app analytics and engagement company, with major brands such as ESPN, eBay, Fox, Salesforce, RueLaLa and the New York Times using its marketing and analytics tools to understand how apps are performing and to engage with new and existing customers.
AWS Services Used
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a web service that provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud. It is designed to make web-scale cloud computing easier for developers.
Elastic Load Balancing
Elastic Load Balancing automatically distributes incoming application traffic across multiple targets, such as Amazon EC2 instances, containers, IP addresses, and Lambda functions.
Learn more »
Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS) is a fully managed message queuing service that enables you to decouple and scale microservices, distributed systems, and serverless applications.
Learn more »
Amazon Kinesis makes it easy to collect, process, and analyze real-time, streaming data so you can get timely insights and react quickly to new information.
Learn more »
Companies of all sizes across all industries are transforming their businesses every day using AWS. Contact our experts and start your own AWS Cloud journey today.