Made.com Case Study
Made.com was founded in 2010 to connect designers directly with consumers, cutting out distributors to offer outstanding home furnishings at an affordable price. It also gives designers access to a mass market that wouldn’t otherwise be available to them. The company is growing by more than 40 percent a year and has expanded from its home market in the UK to five other European countries.
AWS supported our busiest sale period ever, with no disruption. We broke our sales record two weeks into the month-long sale."
Chief Technology Officer, Made.com
- Scale IT infrastructure to support rapid international growth
- Provide an environment where developers could release a steady stream of new features to customers and make the supply chain more efficient
- Maintain a reliable service during peak sales periods
Why Amazon Web Services
- Made.com migrated its entire infrastructure to Amazon Web Services (AWS) in time for its busy January 2016 sales period.
- The company now runs its website, ERP system, customer-facing applications, and Magento-based e-commerce platform on AWS.
- The infrastructure is based on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS), Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS), Auto Scaling groups, Elastic Load Balancing, and Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC).
Using Amazon Elastic MapReduce Yelp was able to save $55,000 in upfront hardware costs and get up and running in a matter of days not months. However, most important to Yelp is the opportunity cost. “With AWS, our developers can now do things they couldn’t before,” says Marin. “Our systems team can focus their energies on other challenges.”
Made.com was founded in 2010 to connect designers directly with consumers, cutting out distributors to offer outstanding home furnishings at an affordable price.
AWS Services Used
Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) is an object storage service that offers industry-leading scalability, data availability, security, and performance.
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a web service that provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud.
Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) makes it easy to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud.
Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS) is an easy to use, high performance block storage service designed for use with Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).
Companies of all sizes across all industries are transforming their businesses every day using AWS. Contact our experts and start your own AWS Cloud journey today.