Yo Case Study
Yo is a social messaging mobile application built for iOS, Android, and Windows phones. The application allows users to send messages with a simple “yo” or short links and attachments added to them. After its launch in the summer of 2014, Yo became one of the most popular mobile applications by adding 1 million users in 4 days.
Using AWS has enabled us to build a scalable mobile application backend
and send millions of notifications reliably."
Co-Founder & CEO, Yo
- The company built its mobile application backend on a third-party provider’s platform.
- Needed to build a scalable mobile application backend that would support the company as it continued to grow and deliver hundreds of thousands of messages to its users.
Why Amazon Web Services
- Migrated its mobile application backend to Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Yo uses Amazon Simple Notification Service (Amazon SNS) to send hundred of thousands of notifications everyday when users exchange messages from the application.
- The company also uses Amazon Elastic Map Reduce (Amazon EMR) to process usage data, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) to power utility services, and Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) to store data.
- Reliability: Using AWS services, Yo designed its mobile backend architecture to support its applications and users more reliably.
- Scale: Yo can provision the necessary IT resources it needs at any time, anywhere in the world to support its growth in users.
- Flexibility: Gained more control over its backend configurability. As the company grows, it can better configure its backend services to minimize downtime and improve overall user experience.
Yo is a social messaging mobile application built for iOS, Android, and Windows phones.
Benefits of AWS
- Increased reliability
- Scales to support growth in users
- Gained more control over backend configuration
AWS Services Used
Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) is an object storage service that offers industry-leading scalability, data availability, security, and performance.
Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS) is a highly available, durable, secure, fully managed pub/sub messaging service.
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a web service that provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud.
Amazon EMR is the industry leading cloud-native big data platform, allowing teams to process vast amounts of data quickly, and cost-effectively at scale.
Companies of all sizes across all industries are transforming their businesses every day using AWS. Contact our experts and start your own AWS Cloud journey today.