As the scale of data continues to grow - reaching petabytes, the amount of data you ingest into your Amazon Redshift data warehouse is also growing. You may be looking for ways to cost-effectively analyze all your data.
With new Amazon Redshift RA3 instances with managed storage, you can choose the number of nodes based on your performance requirements, and only pay for the managed storage that you use. This gives you the flexibility to size your RA3 cluster based on the amount of data you process daily without increasing your storage costs. Built on the AWS Nitro System, RA3 instances with managed storage use high performance SSDs for your hot data and Amazon S3 for your cold data, providing ease of use, cost-effective storage, and fast query performance.
The new RA3 instances with managed storage:
- Allow you to pay per hour for the compute and separately scale data warehouse storage capacity without adding any additional compute resources and paying only for what you use. Learn more on the pricing page
- Include Amazon Redshift Data Sharing, a simple and direct way to share transactionally consistent data across Amazon Redshift data warehouses (cross region, cross account) securely, without data movement or data copying.
- Enables cross-VPC access and multi-AZ deployments
- Use automatic fine-grained data eviction and intelligent data pre-fetching to deliver the performance of local SSD, while scaling storage automatically to S3.
- Feature high bandwidth networking that reduces the time for data to be offloaded to and retrieved from Amazon S3.
You can upgrade to RA3 instances within minutes no matter the size of your current Amazon Redshift clusters. Simply take a snapshot of your cluster and restore it to a new RA3 cluster. Watch this short video to learn how to upgrade or read this guide to learn more.
“We use Amazon Redshift to analyze the events from our app to gain insight into how users learn with Duolingo. We load billions of events each day into Amazon Redshift, have hundreds of terabytes of data, and that is expected to double every year. While we store and process all of our data, most of the analysis only uses a subset of that data. The new Redshift RA3 instances with Managed Storage deliver 2x performance for most of our queries compared to our previous DS2 instances-based Redshift cluster. Redshift Managed Storage automatically adapts to our usage patterns. This means we don't need to manually maintain hot and cold data tiers, and we can keep our costs flat when we process more data.”
Jonathan Burket, Senior Software Engineer, Duolingo