Defense and intelligence agencies deploy cloud services to reduce costs, drive efficiencies, and successfully achieve their missions.
The AWS Cloud provides scalable, cost-efficient solutions that help agencies meet mandates, reduce costs, drive efficiencies, and increase innovation across the Intelligence Community and Department of Defense.
A growing number of military customers are adopting AWS's cloud services to process, store, and transmit DoD data. AWS enables military organizations and their partners to leverage the secure AWS environment through our attainment of a provisional authority to operate (P-ATO) from the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA).
Click here to learn more about necessary authorizations, our shared security model, and the AWS US DoD Compliance Program.
Security for DoD
Security is our top priority, and our cloud infrastructure has been architected to be the most flexible, automated, and secure computing environment available today. Intelligence and defense agencies are taking advantage of our rich security automation tools for greater visibility to move faster and meet security requirements.
AWS security features include the ability to:
- Encrypt your data in three ways – server side in Amazon S3, store and manage the keys yourself with AWS CloudHSM, or use our one-click AWS Key Management Service (KMS).
- Manage identity and access management at a granular level and limit privileges by individual, time, location, and API calls.
- Provision a logically isolated section of the AWS Cloud launching AWS resources in a virtual network defined with Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC).
- Design and build security controls and streamline auditing from the start within the Security by Design (SbD) framework.
- Use AWS Direct Connect to establish private connectivity between AWS and your data center.
- Get access to hundreds of tools and features to help you to meet your security objectives such as dedicated hardware, multi-factor authentication, and granular access controls.
- Leverage the AWS partner ecosystem of security-focused partners.
Security and Compliance with Amazon Web Services
Department of Defense Cloud Computing Security Requirements Guide (SRG) Levels 2 & 4
The Department of Defense (DoD) Cloud Computing Security Requirements Guide (SRG) provides a formalized assessment and authorization process for cloud service providers (CSPs) to gain a DoD Provisional Authorization, which can subsequently be leveraged by DoD customers. A Provisional Authorization under the DoD SRG provides a reusable certification that attests to our compliance with DoD standards, reducing the time necessary for a DoD mission owner to assess and authorize their systems and workloads for operation on AWS.
AWS GovCloud (US) is an isolated AWS region designed to host sensitive workloads in the cloud, ensuring that this work meets the US government’s regulatory and compliance requirements. The AWS GovCloud (US) region adheres to United States International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) as well as Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP) requirements. AWS GovCloud (US) is available to US government agencies, government contractors, private and public commercial entities, educational institutions, non-profits and research organizations that meet GovCloud (US) requirements for access.
FedRAMP is a US government-wide program that provides a standardized approach to security assessment, authorization, and continuous monitoring for cloud products and services. AWS has several FedRAMP ATOs in the FedRAMP Repository: multiple Agency ATOs for moderate impact level applicable to the AWS US East/West regions, and a Joint Authorization Board Provisional (JAB) Provisional ATO and multiple Agency ATOs for high impact level applicable to the AWS GovCloud (US) Region.
How to Buy Cloud in Government
Buying cloud computing services takes different skills and strategies than buying traditional IT. Are you ready to move to the cloud but looking for practical guidance? Our experts at AWS have helped many government IT leaders select the right acquisition approach for their agency.
AWS Certification Exam Reimbursement for US Veterans
AWS is committed to helping US service men and women achieve success in their post-military careers. We’ve worked with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to make AWS Certification exam fees eligible for VA reimbursement under any GI Bill with an education provision.