The AWS IoT Hardware Program helps AWS customers getting started with their next connected hardware project. AWS IoT Hardware partners provide products for the IoT Starter Kit, Powered by AWS, which are validated and ready to connect to the AWS IoT Services. With those kits, customers can feel confident that their project is secure and scalable from proof-of-concept to production.
The program is designed for partners who design, manufacture, integrate or distribute connected development hardware and are interested in helping customers connect to AWS IoT. Semiconductor manufacturers and distributors should apply.
In addition to the benefits you receive as an APN partner, AWS IoT Hardware Partners may also qualify for the below program benefits:
Partners accepted in the IoT Hardware Partner Program qualify for a variety of business benefits, including: access to hands-on lab at AWS Loft events and Hackathon, being featured in customer meetings presenting AWS IoT connectivity, promotion of successful transition to production, inclusion in relevant sales material and more.
Eligible partners receive marketing support to highlight their Starter Kits with AWS, including: Placement in the AWS IoT Hardware Partner Directory as an IoT Hardware Partner, Starter Kit placement in the Starter Kit Directory, use of the Powered by AWS logo, participation at AWS-hosted events, access to online marketing resources, and more.
To get started in the IoT Hardware Program, partners must register with the AWS Partner Network (APN). Follow the steps below to complete APN registration and receive access to the APN Portal:
- APN Technology Partner Registration: Register your firm at no additional charge via the APN Technology Partner Registration
- Login to the APN Portal: Once registered, your firm will receive an email with your APN Portal login credentials and temporary password. Using those credentials, login to the APN Portal
- Add Portal Users: To add APN Portal users from your firm, send the APN Portal Self-Registration link to activate their logins
- Update Partner Scorecard: Track your firm’s AWS success (customer wins, training, etc.) via your Partner Scorecard in the APN Portal
Have Additional Questions? Search the APN Knowledge Base
Partners interested in applying to the AWS IoT Hardware program need to make sure the Starter Kit they are proposing will offer a great out-of-the-box experience for customers trying to create an AWS connected device.
- Learn about AWS IoT and understand how devices can connect to AWS using the AWS IoT SDK using the Getting Started Guide.
- Focus On Out-Of-The-Box experience: Porting or testing the AWS IoT SDK to your platform using some of our available SDK is just a first step, the out-of-the-box experience is an important next step to customers. Partners interested in the AWS IoT Hardware program are encouraged to put significant effort into the packaging of the Starter Kit and how many steps it takes a customer to send device data to AWS. Ideally, between 30 minutes to 1 hour should be a goal.
- Add Value To Your Kit: Partners interested in the AWS IoT Hardware program are also encouraged to add value to the Kit with shields, sensors or actuators that enable customers to prototype without additional purchases. The diversity and quantity of components is left to the discretion of the partners but keep in mind that customers need to get started quickly to adopt your kit as the base for their projects.
- Provide Examples: Partners interested in the AWS IoT Hardware program could demonstrate the capabilities of their kit through sample applications. Sample applications could range from the simplest push button to more complex uses cases. Providing getting started guides along with the sample application is strongly recommended.
- Package The Kit: Out of the box experience starts with the packaging. A compelling box with relevant information about what is inside is always appreciated by customers. Partners are encouraged to pay particular attention to the packaging of the Starter Kit.
Once the Kit is ready and functional, proceed to Step #3 and apply for the program.
Follow the steps below to submit your firm’s AWS IoT Hardware application:
- Update Partner Scorecard: Before submitting your IoT Hardware application, please make sure your firm’s Partner Scorecard is up-to-date. To access your Partner Scorecard, log in to the APN Portal and click on “View Partner Scorecard” found in the left navigation.
- Submit Starter Kit Application: Once your firm’s Partner Scorecard has been updated, please submit the AWS IoT Starter Kit application. After your application has been submitted, a member of the AWS IoT Hardware Team will reach out with next steps, including sending the team a Starter Kit for technical validation.
- Upgrade your APN Membership: Once your firm meets APN’s Standard tier requirements, apply to Upgrade to receive additional APN benefits. Partners interested in Upgrading their APN membership, can submit their application by following the below steps: