Performance Insights offers a rolling seven days of performance data history at no charge. This is enough time to troubleshoot a wide variety of issues. The Performance Insights free tier includes:
- 7 days of performance data history
- 1 million API requests per month
To analyze longer-term performance trends, you can choose long term retention, which retains up to two years of performance data history. Pricing is detailed below.
Long Term Retention
Long Term Retention is priced per vCPU per month for each database instance in which it is enabled. The price depends on the RDS instance type used by your database, and may vary by region.
- Pricing correlates to the number of vCPUs in the instance type. For example, a db.r4.xlarge has 4 vCPUs, so the monthly price in the table would be multiplied by 4.
- For each instance in an Aurora cluster, you can decide separately whether to enable Long Term Retention.
- Long Term Retention is metered by the hour, and the monthly price is prorated based on the number of hours the feature is in use.
- Retention of performance data is limited to two years. Pricing does not depend on the actual amount of data stored.
- If Long Term Retention is turned off, performance data older than 7 days is deleted.
API Pricing Example
As an example, say you create a custom dashboard that makes calls to RDS Performance Insights' two APIs, DescribeDimensionKeys and GetResourceMetrics. The dashboard calls these two APIs every 5 seconds. That would be:
- 2 API calls * (30 days * 24 hours * 60 minutes * 60 seconds) / (5 seconds) = 1,036,800 API calls.
The first 1M API calls are free per account, and are $0.01 for each 1,000 calls after that. Thus, in this example the cost would be:
- ((1,036,800 - 1,000,000) / 1,000) * 0.01 = $0.37 per month
If we monitored two instances with our custom dashboard refreshing every 5 seconds, the cost would be:
- ((2 * 1,036,800 - 1,000,000) / 1,000) * 0.01 = $10.74 per month