Read our What's New posts to learn about recent features and announcements for Amazon Redshift and Redshift Spectrum.
Need help with your Proof-of-Concept?
If you are building a proof-of-concept solution with Amazon Redshift, we recommend that you read Building a Proof of Concept for Amazon Redshift. To request assistance from us for your proof-of-concept, click here.
Getting Started Guide: Introduces you to Amazon Redshift, helps you set up an account, and walks you through a simple example to use Amazon Redshift for the first time. Also provides tips and links to advanced product features and resources. HTML | PDF | Kindle
Amazon Redshift API Reference: Describes all the API operations for Amazon Redshift in detail. It also provides sample requests, responses, and errors for the supported web services protocols. HTML | PDF
Amazon Redshift CLI Guide: Describes the command line interface for Amazon Redshift in detail. It provides basic syntax, options, and usage examples for each command. HTML
Loading Data: Load your data efficiently using COPY commands, bulk inserts, and staging tables. Learn more »
Designing Data Warehouse Schema: Design your database for high query performance, low storage and memory requirements, and minimal I/O operations. Learn more »
Tuning Query Performance: Tune your queries for maximum performance using these tips and tactics. Learn more »
Tuning and Management Scripts & Tools
Amazon Redshift Admin Scripts
SQL scripts for running diagnostics on your Amazon Redshift cluster using system tables. Download here »
List of Scripts:
- top_queries.sql - returns top 50 most time-consuming statements in the last 7 days
- perf_alerts.sql - returns top occurrences of alerts, join with table scans
- filter_used.sql - returns filter applied to tables on scans to aid in choosing sortkey
- commit_stats.sql - shows information on consumption of cluster resources through COMMIT statements
- current_session_info.sql - shows information about sessions with currently running queries
- missing_table_stats.sql - shows EXPLAIN plans which flagged "missing statistics" on the underlying tables
- queuing_queries.sql - lists queries which are waiting on a WLM Query Slot
table_info.sql - Return Table storage information (size, skew, etc)
Admin SQL Views
SQL Views for managing your Amazon Redshift Cluster and generating Schema DDL. All Views assume you have a schema called Admin. Download here »
List of views:
- v_check_data_distribution.sql - get data distribution across slices
- v_constraint_dependency.sql - get the the foreign key constraints between tables
- v_generate_group_ddl.sql - get the DDL for a group
- v_generate_schema_ddl.sql - get the DDL for schemas
- v_generate_tbl_ddl.sql - get the DDL for a table, contains distkey, sortkey, & constraints
- v_generate_unload_copy_cmd.sql - generate unload and copy commands for an object
- v_generate_user_object_permissions.sql - get the DDL for a user’s permissions to tables and views
- v_generate_view_ddl.sql - get the DDL for a view
- v_get_obj_priv_by_user.sql - get the table/views that a user has access to
- v_get_schema_priv_by_user.sql - get the schema that a user has access to
- v_get_tbl_priv_by_user.sql - get the tables that a user has access to
- v_get_users_in_group.sql - get all users in a group
- v_get_view_priv_by_user.sql - get the views that a user has access to
- v_object_dependency.sql - merge the different dependency views together
- v_space_used_per_tbl.sql - pull space used per table
- v_view_dependency.sql - get names of views that are dependent on other tables/views
- v_check_transaction_locks.sql - get info on locks held by open transactions
- v_check_wlm_query_time.sql - get WLM wait time & execution time for past 7 days
- v_check_wlm_query_trend_daily.sql - get WLM query Count, wait time, execution time by day
- v_check_wlm_query_trend_hourly.sql - get WLM query count, wait time, execution time by hour
- v_generate_cancel_query.sql - get cancel query
- v_get_cluster_restart_ts.sql - get datetime when cluster was recently restarted
- v_get_vacuum_details.sql - get vacuum details
Easily migrate data between two Amazon Redshift tables that may be in different databases, clusters, or regions. All exported data is encrypted with AWS Key Management Service (KMS). You can use this utility to supplement AWS Data Pipeline to routinely move data between systems, such as between production and test, or for maintaining read-only copies on other clusters. Download here »
Community Contributed Functions & Tools
Analytics & Admin Tools
Framework for developing UDFs. To make development easier, Periscope has built a framework for managing and testing UDFs. Contributed by Periscope Data. Download here »
re:Dash. A free open source data collaboration and visualization platform built to allow fast and easy access to billions of records. Features include a schema browser, improved scheduling, autocomplete, and ability to write Python queries. Contributed by Everthing.me. Download here »
EverythingMe's Amazon Redshift Admin Dashboard. Monitor running queries, WLM queues, and your tables/schemas with this user-friendly tool. Contributed by EverythingMe. Download here »
Spark-Redshift Library. Use this library to load data from Amazon Redshift into an Apache Spark SQL DataFrames, and write data from Apache Spark back into Amazon Redshift. Good example of using AVRO ingestion with Amazon Redshift. Contributed by Swiftkey. Download here »
We have a rich set of blog articles that provide use case and best practices guidance to help you get the most out of Amazon Redshift. Access our full list of blog articles through the resources below.
No blog posts have been found at this time. Please see the AWS Blog for other resources.
Redshift Spectrum extends Amazon Redshift beyond the data stored in your data warehouse to also query your data in Amazon S3. You can run queries on S3 data, or join S3 and Redshift data to get unique insights that you can not get by querying independent data silos.
Learn how you can build a serverless big data analytics solution using Amazon Redshift Spectrum, AWS Glue, and Amazon QuickSight, eliminating the need to invest in databases, data warehouses, complex ETL solutions, and BI applications.
See how to run SQL queries against open data formats stored in Amazon S3, and data stored in your Amazon Redshift data warehouse. We will also show you how to analyze your data lake and data warehouse and get fast results at any scale, from gigabytes to exabytes.
Stay up to date with AWS webinars.
Selected event sessions
Learn about recent availability, performance, and management enhancements, and then watch 21st Century Fox discuss their migration from an on-premises data warehouse to Amazon Redshift and a data lake architecture.
See how Sysco's Business Intelligence and Analytics team created a data lake with scalable analytics and query engines leveraging AWS services, using Amazon Redshift Spectrum, Amazon S3, Amazon EMR, AWS Glue, Amazon Elasticsearch Service and other AWS services.
Take an in-depth look at how modern data warehousing analyzes all your data, inside and outside your data warehouse, without moving the data. Hear best practices on how to design optimal schemas, load data efficiently, and optimize your queries to deliver high throughput and performance.
See how the Expedia Global Payments Business Intelligence group architected, designed, and built a complete cloud data mart solution from the ground up using the AWS and Tableau online. Learn about best practices, optimization techniques, and lessons learned.
Learn how to easily and securely migrate your data and procedural code from your existing databases and data warehouses to Amazon Redshift and other AWS services using AWS Database Migration Service (AWS DMS) and AWS Schema Conversion Tool (AWS SCT).
Learn tips and techniques to optimize your Amazon Redshift deployment, scale efficiently, and cost-effectively meet growing demands on your data warehouse.