Paying for What You Use
With Amazon Route 53, you don’t have to pay any upfront fees or commit to the number of queries the service answers for your domain. Like with other AWS services, you pay as you go and only for what you use:
- Managing hosted zones: You pay a monthly charge for each hosted zone managed with Route 53.
- Serving DNS queries: You incur charges for every DNS query answered by the Amazon Route 53 service, except for queries to Alias A records that are mapped to Elastic Load Balancing instances, CloudFront distributions, AWS Elastic Beanstalk environments, API Gateways, VPC endpoints, or Amazon S3 website buckets, which are provided at no additional charge.
- Managing domain names: You pay an annual charge for each domain name registered via or transferred into Route 53.
Your monthly bill from AWS will list your total usage and dollar amount for the Amazon Route 53 service separately from other AWS services.
$0.50 per hosted zone / month for the first 25 hosted zones
$0.10 per hosted zone / month for additional hosted zones
The monthly hosted zone prices listed above are not prorated for partial months. A hosted zone is charged at the time it's created and on the first day of each subsequent month. To allow testing, a hosted zone that is deleted within 12 hours of creation is not charged, however, any queries on that hosted zone will still incur charges at the rates below.
Need more than 500 hosted zones? Please contact us.
The following query prices are prorated; for example, a hosted zone with 100,000 standard queries / month would be charged $0.040 and a hosted zone with 100,000 Latency-Based Routing queries / month would be charged $0.060.
$0.400 per million queries – first 1 Billion queries / month
$0.200 per million queries – over 1 Billion queries / month
$0.600 per million queries – first 1 Billion queries / month
$0.300 per million queries – over 1 Billion queries / month
$0.700 per million queries – first 1 Billion queries / month
$0.350 per million queries – over 1 Billion queries / month
Queries to Alias records are provided at no additional cost to current Route 53 customers when the records are mapped to the following AWS resource types:
- Elastic Load Balancers
- Amazon CloudFront distributions
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk environments
- Amazon S3 buckets that are configured as website endpoints
Alias records can be created for all query types:
- Standard queries (records with failover, multivalue answer, and weighted routing policies), listed as “Intra-AWS-DNS-Queries” on the Amazon Route 53 usage report
- Latency-based routing queries (records with latency routing policies), listed as “Intra-AWS-LBR-Queries” on the Amazon Route 53 usage report
- Geo queries (geolocation and geoproximity routing policies), listed as “Intra-AWS-Geo-Queries” on the Amazon Route 53 usage report
We don't charge for DNS queries when the DNS name and record type in the query match an alias record that routes internet traffic to one of the AWS resource types listed above (for example, an Elastic Load balancer). We charge the regular rate for DNS queries when the name matches but the type doesn't, for example, when the DNS query is for an "AAAA" record but only an "A" record exists. Some browsers automatically send both an "A" and "AAAA" queries, so we recommend that you create both "A" and "AAAA" records where applicable.
$50.00 per policy record / month
You create a policy record when you associate an Amazon Route 53 Traffic Flow policy with a specific DNS name (such as www.example.com) so that the traffic policy manages traffic for that DNS name. The monthly price listed above is prorated for partial months. There is no charge for traffic policies that are not associated with a DNS name via a policy record.
Get Started With DNS Failover At No Additional Cost*
New and existing customers can create up to 50 health checks for AWS endpoints** that are within or linked to the same AWS account.
|AWS Endpoints||Non-AWS Endpoints|
|Basic Health Checks||$0.50* per health check / month||$0.75 per health check / month|
Optional health check features:
|$1.00 / month per optional feature||$2.00 / month per optional feature|
Optional health check features:
- String Matching
- Fast Interval
- Latency Measurement
The monthly health check prices listed above are prorated for partial months.
Need more than 200 health checks? Please contact us.
* New and existing customers are not charged for health checks on up to 50 AWS endpoints (described below) that are within or linked to their AWS account (the “Offer”). The Offer is subject to the AWS Customer Agreement and is a Special Pricing Program under the AWS Service Terms. You will be charged AWS’s standard rates for any use that exceeds the usage amount provided at no additional cost under the Offer. Unused usage amounts remaining at the end of the Offer term do not roll over. When calculating your use of AWS services under the Offer, we will aggregate your use across all AWS regions.
** An "AWS endpoint" is a resource running within AWS (e.g., an Amazon EC2 instance) that is provisioned within the same AWS account as the health check or billed to the same account as the health check. Calculated health checks and metric based health checks are billed as health checks of an AWS endpoint. You are not billed for health checks of Elastic Load Balancing resources or Amazon S3 buckets that are configured as website endpoints. Health checks of Elastic Load Balancing resources and Amazon S3 website bucket endpoints are provisioned automatically by AWS and are available for no additional charge as part of Amazon Route 53.
Route 53 Resolver
Route 53 Resolver endpoints
A Route 53 Resolver endpoint includes one or more IP addresses. Each IP address corresponds with one elastic network interface (ENI). A single outbound endpoint can be used by multiple VPCs that were created by multiple accounts within the same region.
- $0.125 per ENI / hour
Recursive DNS queries to and from on-premises networks
Only queries that pass through a Route 53 resolver endpoint going to or coming from on-premises resources will be charged. Queries that resolve locally to your Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) will not be charged.
- $0.400 per million queries – first 1 Billion queries / month
- $0.200 per million queries – over 1 Billion queries / month
Pricing for domain names varies by TLD. View a full list of current pricing by TLD. Domain names are registered in annual increments. Prices listed are per domain-year unless otherwise noted. We do not currently offer volume discount pricing for domain registrations.
There is a limit of 50 domain name registrations per account. To request a higher limit, please contact us.
Taxes and Promotional Credits
The prices above are exclusive of applicable taxes, fees, or similar governmental charges, if any exist, except as otherwise noted. You may not use Promotional Credit for any fees or charges for Amazon Route 53 domain name registration. For more information regarding use of Promotional Credits, please click here.
API Calls Between Amazon Route 53 and Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3)
Using the Amazon Route 53 console can generate API calls to Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3). Actions such as identifying Alias record targets sends API calls to S3, such as LIST_ALL_MY_BUCKETS. Depending on how many times you initiate this workflow, the API calls made to S3 may cause charges to appear in your S3 bill as LIST requests. See the S3 Pricing Page for more information.