VPN Connection Pricing
- $0.05 per VPN Connection-hour
- $0.048 per VPN Connection-hour for connections to the Tokyo region
If you choose to create a Hardware VPN Connection to your VPC using a Virtual Private Gateway, you are charged for each "VPN Connection-hour" that your VPN connection is provisioned and available. Each partial VPN Connection-hour consumed is billed as a full hour. You also incur standard AWS data transfer charges for all data transferred via the VPN Connection. If you no longer wish to be charged for a VPN Connection, you simply terminate your VPN Connection using the AWS Management Console, commandline interface, or API.
Get Started with AWS for FreeCreate a Free Account
Or Sign In to the Console
Receive twelve months of access to the AWS Free Tier and enjoy AWS Basic Support features including, 24x7x365 customer service, support forums, and more.
Please note that Amazon VPC is not currently available on the AWS Free Tier.
If you choose to create a NAT gateway in your VPC, you are charged for each “NAT Gateway-hour" that your NAT gateway is provisioned and available. Data processing charges apply for each Gigabyte processed through the NAT gateway regardless of the traffic’s source or destination. Each partial NAT Gateway-hour consumed is billed as a full hour. You also incur standard AWS data transfer charges for all data transferred via the NAT gateway. If you no longer wish to be charged for a NAT gateway, simply delete your NAT gateway using the AWS Management Console, commandline interface, or API.
|Region||Price per NAT gateway ($/hour)||Price per GB data processed ($)|
|US East (N.Virginia)||0.045||0.045|
|US East (Ohio)||0.045||0.045|
|US West (Oregon)||0.045||0.045|
|US West (N. California)||0.048||0.048|
|Asia Pacific (Singapore)||0.059||0.059|
|Asia Pacific (Tokyo)||0.062||0.062|
|Asia Pacific (Seoul)
|Asia Pacific (Sydney)||0.059||0.059|
|Asia Pacific (Mumbai)||0.056||0.056|
|South America (São Paulo)
NAT Gateway Pricing Example
Let’s assume you created a NAT gateway and you have an EC2 instance routing to the Internet through the NAT gateway. Your EC2 instance behind the NAT gateway sends a 1 GB file to one of your S3 buckets. The EC2 instance, NAT gateway and S3 Bucket are in the same region US East (Ohio), and the NAT gateway and EC2 instance are in the same availability zone. We calculate your cost as follows:
- NAT Gateway Hourly Charge: NAT Gateway is charged on an hourly basis. For this region, the rate is $0.045 per hour.
- NAT Gateway Data Processing Charge: 1 GB data went through NAT gateway. The NAT Gateway Data Processing charge is applied and will result in a charge of $0.045.
- Data Transfer Charge: This is the standard EC2 Data Transfer charge. 1 GB data was transferred from the EC2 instance to S3 via the NAT gateway. There was no charge for the data transfer from the EC2 instance to S3 as it is Data Transfer Out to Amazon EC2 to S3 in the same region. There was also no charge for the data transfer between the NAT Gateway and the EC2 instance since the traffic stays in the same availability zone using private IP addresses. There will be data transfer charge between your NAT Gateway and EC2 instance if they are in the different availability zone. Please visit the Data Transfer section of the EC2 Pricing Page for more details.
In summary, your charge will be $0.045 for 1 GB data processed by the NAT gateway and a charge of $0.045 per hour will always apply once the NAT gateway is provisioned and available. The data transfer has no charge in this example. However, if you send the file to a non-AWS internet location instead, there will be data transfer charge as it is data transfer out from Amazon EC2 to internet.
Note: To avoid the NAT Gateway Data Processing charge in this example, you could setup a VPC endpoint and route the traffic to/from AWS services (such as S3) through the VPC endpoint instead of going through the NAT Gateway. There is no data processing or hourly charges for using VPC endpoints. For details on how to use VPC endpoints, please visit VPC Endpoints Documentation.