What does this AWS Solutions Implementation do?
This solution provides secure, scalable, and trackable data transfer for Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) objects and Amazon Elastic Container Registry (Amazon ECR) images. This data transfer helps customers expand their businesses globally by easily moving data in and out of AWS China Regions.
Intuitive user interface
The user interface allows customers to create and manage data transfer tasks for Amazon S3 objects and Amazon ECR images.
Varied source support
The solution supports data transfer from Alibaba Cloud OSS, Tencent COS, Qiniu Kodo, and Amazon S3 Compatible Cloud Storage to Amazon S3. Transfer from Docker Hub, Google gcr.io, Red Hat Quay.io to Amazon ECR is also supported.
Transfer tasks are on-demand and pay-as-you-go. For more information, refer to the Cost section of the implementation guide.
AWS Solutions Implementation overview
The diagram below presents the architecture you can automatically deploy using the solution's implementation guide and accompanying AWS CloudFormation template.
Data Transfer Hub Solutions Implementation architecture
The solution automatically deploys and configures a serverless architecture with the following services:
- The solution’s static web assets (front end user interface) are stored in Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) and made available through Amazon CloudFront.
- The backend APIs are provided via AWS AppSync GraphQL.
- Users are authenticated by either Amazon Cognito User Pool (in AWS Regions) or by an OpenID connect provider (in AWS China Regions) such as Authing, Auth0, etc.
AWS AppSync runs AWS Lambda to call backend APIs.
- Lambda starts an AWS Step Functions workflow that uses AWS CloudFormation to start or stop/delete the Amazon ECR or S3 plugin template.
- The plugin templates are hosted in a centralized Amazon S3 bucket manged by AWS.
- The solution also provisions an Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS) cluster that runs the container images used by the plugin template, and the container images are hosted in Amazon Elastic Container Registry (Amazon ECR).
- The data transfer task information is stored in Amazon DynamoDB.
Important: If you deploy this solution in AWS (Beijing) Region operated by Beijina Sinnet Technology Co., Ltd. (Sinnet), or the AWS (Ningxia) Region operated by Ningxia Western Cloud Data Technology Co., Ltd., you are required to provide a domain with ICP Recordal before you can access the web console.
The web console is a centralized place to create and manage all data transfer jobs. Each data type (for example, Amazon S3 or Amazon ECR) is a plugin for Data Transfer Hub, and is packaged as an AWS CloudFormation template hosted in an S3 bucket that AWS owns. When you create a transfer task, an AWS Lambda function initiates the Amazon CloudFormation template, and state of each task is stored and displayed in the DynamoDB tables.
As of December 2021, the solution supports two data transfer plugins: an Amazon S3 plugin and an Amazon ECR plugin.
Data Transfer Hub
Estimated deployment time: 15 min
Browse our library of AWS Solutions Implementations to get answers to common architectural problems.
Find AWS certified consulting and technology partners to help you get started.
Browse our portfolio of Consulting Offers to get AWS-vetted help with solution deployment.