What does this AWS Solutions Implementation do?
This solution creates a serverless architecture to initiate cost-effective image processing in the AWS Cloud. The architecture combines AWS services with Sharp open-source image processing software and is optimized for dynamic image manipulation. The solution provides dynamic image handling to help you maintain high-quality images on your websites and mobile applications to drive user engagement.
Deliver dynamic images at run-time based on your customer’s device.
Detect and blur inappropriate images using Amazon Rekognition.
Crop images using the facial recognition capabilities of Amazon Rekognition.
Deploy a simple web interface where you can to interact directly with your image handler API endpoint using image files that already exist in your account.
Save on storage costs because the solution automates version control, eliminating multiple versions of images.
AWS Solutions Implementation overview
The diagram below presents the serverless architecture you can deploy in minutes using the solution's implementation guide and accompanying AWS CloudFormation template.
Serverless Image Handler Solutions Implementation architecture
The AWS CloudFormation template deploys the following resources:
- An Amazon CloudFront distribution that provides a caching layer to reduce the cost of image processing and the latency of subsequent image delivery. The CloudFront domain name provides cached access to the image handler API.
- Amazon API Gateway to provide endpoint resources and initiate the AWS Lambda function.
- A Lambda function that retrieves the image from a customer’s existing Amazon S3 bucket and uses Sharp to return a modified version of the image to the API Gateway.
- An Amazon S3 bucket for log storage, separate from your customer-created S3 bucket for storing images. If selected, the solution deploys an S3 bucket for storing the optional demo UI.
- If you activate the image URL signature feature, the Lambda function retrieves the secret value from your existing AWS Secrets Manager secret to validate the signature.
- If you use the smart crop or content moderation features, the AWS Lambda function calls Amazon Rekognition to analyze your image and returns the results.
Browse our library of AWS Solutions Implementations to get answers to common architectural problems.
Find AWS certified consulting and technology partners to help you get started.
Browse our portfolio of Consulting Offers to get AWS-vetted help with solution deployment.