10 reasons why you should try AWS OpsWorks for Puppet Enterprise
By Ryan Coleman, Director of Product Management at Puppet
We’re really excited to see AWS OpsWorks for Puppet Enterprise out in the wild. Over 600 people attended our joint session at AWS re:Invent 2017 (check out the video here) and many of you stopped by our booth to find out more. This post is for everyone we didn’t talk to directly. If you’re an open source Puppet user and you’d like to try some of the Puppet Enterprise features you’ve been hearing about, you can deploy OpsWorks for Puppet Enterprise in less than 20 minutes with no upfront costs. If you’re running a small team and you have a big cloud or automation initiative on the table for 2018, then OpsWorks for Puppet Enterprise is a perfect starting point.
And, because it’s that time of year for making lists, we’re bringing you the top 10 reasons why you should try OpsWorks for Puppet Enterprise in the new year.
- You can have a fully configured Puppet master up and running on AWS in less than 20 minutes. We developed a handy User Guide and Starter Kit to help you get started.
- Backups, upgrades, and restorations are automatically handled for you based on maintenance windows that you define.
- You can take advantage of hourly billing and only pay for what you consume.
- You can deploy wherever your customers are—OpsWorks just added support for 6 new AWS Regions. In addition to these Regions: US East (N. Virginia), US West (Oregon), and EU (Ireland), it’s now available in in these Regions: US East (Ohio), US West (N. California), EU (Frankfurt), Asia Pacific (Singapore), Asia Pacific (Tokyo), and Asia Pacific (Sydney).
- Need to use up some of your AWS credits? You can apply them to your AWS bill and offset part of your OpsWorks for Puppet Enterprise usage!
- Workflows tailored to the cloud make it easy to bring your cloud resources under management. For example, Puppet Enterprise in OpsWorks can securely register nodes on the Puppet master without intervention.
- Connect to your existing module code repository. If you don’t have an existing code repo, we provide an AWS-managed source control repository to securely store your infrastructure code.
- Manage your AWS and on-premises infrastructure with a single tool. If you’re going fully cloud native, OpsWorks for Puppet Enterprise is for you. If you still have on-premises infrastructure to manage, you can bring that, too.
- Are you running open source Puppet or an older version of Puppet Enterprise? Try out the latest features available in Puppet Enterprise 2017.3 like Task Management, which lets you run ad hoc tasks across tens of thousands of nodes with full governance and auditability.
- Accelerate migration to the cloud and get the benefits of Day 2 management.
Together with AWS, we look forward to helping you move to the cloud and scale automation across your organization in 2018. Give it a try and let us know what you think. If you’d like to learn more about OpsWorks for Puppet Enterprise, you can get more info here.
The content and opinions in this post are those of the third-party author and AWS is not responsible for the content or accuracy of this post.