X1 Instance Update – X1.16xlarge + More Regions
Earlier this year we made the x1.32xlarge instance available. With nearly 2 TiB of memory, this instance type is a great fit for memory-intensive big data, caching, and analytics workloads. Our customers are running the SAP HANA in-memory database, large-scale Apache Spark and Hadoop jobs, and many types of high performance computing (HPC) workloads.
Today we are making two updates to the X1 instance type:
- New Instance Size – The new x1.16xlarge instance size provides another option for running smaller-footprint workloads.
- New Regions – The X1 instances are now available in three additional regions, bringing the total to ten.
New Instance Size
Here are the specifications for the new x1.16xlarge:
- Processor: 2 x Intel™ Xeon E7 8880 v3 (Haswell) running at 2.3 GHz – 32 cores / 64 vCPUs.
- Memory: 976 GiB with Single Device Data Correction (SDDC+1).
- Instance Storage: 1,920 GB SSD.
- Network Bandwidth: 10 Gbps.
- Dedicated EBS Bandwidth: 5 Gbps (EBS Optimized at no additional cost).
Like the x1.32xlarge, this instance supports Turbo Boost 2.0 (up to 3.1 GHz), AVX 2.0, AES-NI, and TSX-NI. They are available as On-Demand Instances, Spot Instances, or Dedicated Instances; you can also purchase Reserved Instances and Dedicated Host Reservations.
Both sizes of X1 instances are available in the following regions:
- US East (N. Virginia)
- US West (Oregon)
- Europe (Ireland)
- Europe (Frankfurt)
- Asia Pacific (Tokyo)
- Asia Pacific (Singapore)
- Asia Pacific (Sydney)
- Asia Pacific (Mumbai) – New
- AWS GovCloud (US) – New
- Asia Pacific (Seoul) – New