Podcast and live Q&A with AWS Global VP of Storage Mai-Lan Tomsen Bukovec
Hello, Storage Blog readers! As a Partner Solutions Architect at AWS, I work with APN Partners within the cloud management tools space to help them use AWS to govern or optimize their AWS infrastructure. To support my efforts at work, I recently started a YouTube channel and blog dedicated to AWS offerings, services, and solutions. Hopefully the content I produce on those external channels can supplement what you find on AWS blogs and documentation.
I have been fortunate enough to kick off my AWS content creation journey with a few 1-on-1 sessions with Mai-Lan Tomsen Bukovec, the AWS Global VP of Storage and a 10-year AWS veteran. Mai-Lan and I got together and put together some awesome content, including three full podcast episodes for cloud enthusiasts of all levels. Mai-Lan has been an engineering and product leader of AWS storage and compute services since 2019, and in our chats we cover things like data gravity, data explosion, and modern data architecture.
Apart from the three podcast episodes, Mai-Lan and I have a live Q&A session (that you shouldn’t miss) happening on September 29 at 11:15 (EDT). If you are looking for an opportunity to ask questions directly to an AWS heavy-hitter, don’t miss this chance. Mai-Lan and I are both excited to meet you and answer any questions you may have.
Check out the following recent content itinerary:
Episode #1 (September 14, 2020):
In this episode, learn a bit about Mai-Lan on a personal level and hear us discuss the current situation with COVID-19.
- Pop Quiz on the first AWS services released and when
- Take some time to get to know Mai-Lan Tomsen Bukovec on a personal level from forestry volunteer to a recreational boxer
- “The bold ask”
- How are customers dealing with COVID?
- Data has gravity and what does that mean?
- Customers moving forward and not tied to a data center – time to get out of the data center business
Episode #2 (September 18, 2020):
In this episode Mai-Lan Tomsen and I start to dive deep about data explosion, moving away from data silos, and diverse workloads.
- What is data explosion?
- Future proofing storage with Amazon S3
- Silo’s block innovation – time to get away from data silos
- Domino’s Pizza project 3TEN
- Get rid of old school thinking that storage is a problem to be managed
- Netflix and other major streaming providers
- Using Amazon S3 for diverse workloads
- Amazon S3 Intelligent-Tiering
Episode #3 (September 23, 2020):
In the final episode, Mai-Lan Tomsen and I discuss modern data architecture, multi-tenant datasets, and Amazon S3 Access Points.
- The benefits of a modern data architecture
- Governing access through policies
- Securing the data perimeter
- Storage management for cost effectiveness
- Removing data silos
- Separation of storage and compute
- Amazon S3 evolves to where customers need and going
Thanks for reading about some of the early content I am making over on my channels dedicated to all things AWS. I look forward to seeing some of you at my live Q&A with Mai-Lan later this month. If you have any comments or questions, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment on this post.
Update on October 1: The live Q&A session with Mai-Lan can be found here.