AWS Achieves FedRAMP Authorization for New Services in the AWS GovCloud (US) Region
Today, we’re pleased to announce an array of AWS services that are available in the AWS GovCloud (US) Region and have achieved Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP) High authorizations. The FedRAMP Joint Authorization Board (JAB) has issued Provisional Authority to Operate (P-ATO) approvals, which are effective immediately. If you are a federal or commercial customer, you can use these services to process and store your critical workloads in the AWS GovCloud (US) Region’s authorization boundary with data up to the high impact level.
The services newly authorized under FedRAMP High in the AWS GovCloud (US) Region include database, storage, data warehouse, security, and configuration automation solutions that will help you increase your ability to manage data in the cloud. For example, with AWS CloudFormation, you can deploy AWS resources by automating configuration processes. AWS Key Management Service (KMS) enables you to create and control the encryption keys used to secure your data. Amazon Redshift enables you to analyze all your data cost effectively by using existing business intelligence tools to automate common administrative tasks for managing, monitoring, and scaling your data warehouse.
Our federal and commercial customers can now leverage our FedRAMP P-ATO to access the following services:
- CloudFormation – CloudFormation gives developers and systems administrators an easy way to create and manage a collection of related AWS resources, provisioning and updating them in an orderly and predictable fashion. You can use sample templates in CloudFormation, or create your own templates to describe the AWS resources and any associated dependencies or run-time parameters required to run your application.
- Amazon DynamoDB – Amazon DynamoDB is a fast and flexible NoSQL database service for all applications that need consistent, single-digit-millisecond latency at any scale. It is a fully managed cloud database and supports both document and key-value store models.
- Amazon EMR – Amazon EMR provides a managed Hadoop framework that makes it efficient and cost effective to process vast amounts of data across dynamically scalable Amazon EC2 instances. You can also run other popular distributed frameworks such as Apache Spark, HBase, Presto, and Flink in EMR, and interact with data in other AWS data stores such as Amazon S3 and DynamoDB.
- Amazon Glacier – Amazon Glacier is a secure, durable, and low-cost cloud storage service for data archiving and long-term backup. Customers can reliably store large or small amounts of data for as little as $0.004 per gigabyte per month, a significant savings compared to on-premises solutions.
- KMS – KMS is a managed service that makes it easier for you to create and control the encryption keys used to encrypt your data, and uses Hardware Security Modules (HSMs) to protect the security of your keys. KMS is integrated with other AWS services to help you protect the data you store with these services. For example, KMS is integrated with CloudTrail to provide you with logs of all key usage and help you meet your regulatory and compliance needs.
- Redshift – Redshift is a fast, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse that makes it simple and cost effective to analyze all your data by using your existing business intelligence tools.
- Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS) – Amazon SNS is a fast, flexible, fully managed push notification service that lets you send individual messages or “fan out” messages to large numbers of recipients. SNS makes it simple and cost effective to send push notifications to mobile device users and email recipients or even send messages to other distributed services.
- Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS) – Amazon SQS is a fully-managed message queuing service for reliably communicating among distributed software components and microservices—at any scale. Using SQS, you can send, store, and receive messages between software components at any volume, without losing messages or requiring other services to be always available.
- Amazon Simple Workflow Service (SWF) – Amazon SWF helps developers build, run, and scale background jobs that have parallel or sequential steps. SWF is a fully managed state tracker and task coordinator in the cloud.
AWS works closely with the FedRAMP Program Management Office (PMO), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and other federal regulatory and compliance bodies to ensure that we provide you with the cutting-edge technology you need in a secure and compliant fashion. We are working with our authorizing officials to continue to expand the scope of our authorized services, and we are fully committed to ensuring that AWS GovCloud (US) continues to offer government customers the most comprehensive mix of functionality and security.
For a complete list of authorized FedRAMP services, see AWS Services in Scope by Compliance Program.
Want more AWS Security how-to content, news, and feature announcements? Follow us on Twitter.